Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
my MacBook arrived this morning, I have it set up with my Dell 2405 and run it with it's lid closed.

My questions are.

Does anyone else run it closed? is this safe? the instructions say I can, just don't want anything to burn.

Secondly, if you own a macbook, or any laptop really, when it's set up on your desk and hooked up to the power outlet, do you leave the battery in or run it without?

thanks.

skipsandwichdx

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
It'll run fine closed.

It'll also run fine without the battery, but you run the risk of getting the battery compartment dirty, or, more importantly, shutting the computer off if the magsafe detaches (not unlikely).

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
skipsandwichdx said:
It'll run fine closed.

It'll also run fine without the battery, but you run the risk of getting the battery compartment dirty, or, more importantly, shutting the computer off if the magsafe detaches (not unlikely).

There's not much change of the magsafe coming out the way the machine is set up here.
the reason I ask is, I don't mind leaving the battery in, I think I'd prefer to, but it's very hot and it's only been plugged in a few hours, I used to run my iMac 24/7 and I didn't want to overheat everything.

jbusc

macrumors member
May 21, 2006
I run my macbook closed all the time hooked up to an external LCD. Heat isn't too much of an issue as most of it is piped away from the LCD anyway.

I wouldn't remove the battery while it's plugged in. There's a lot of complex circuitry to prevent the battery from overcharging. Plus I knock my magsafe out all the time when I'm moving it around, I wouldn't want to cut the power like that.

eenu

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
skipsandwichdx said:
It'll run fine closed.

Running without the battery in the MB has been reported to make it run at 1Ghz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.