Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Aug 14, 2006, 03:48 PM   #1
puckhead193
macrumors G3

iron on transfers/advice

How hard/easy is it to do the iron on transfers? how long do u think it will take to make about 15 of them?
My group is performing "who let the dogs out" in front of their parents. They have dance moves etc. But a lot of groups their counselors made shirts for them or have some form of a costume like one group has blow up guitars/microphones, visors, etc. The person in charged said they are going to make doggy ears, but i don't see that happening. Do you think i should make up shirts.

I made up a mock of the survivor logo with the camp name, and on the bottom, the group name and year.
Should i ruin my whole night and make them or not? If you were a parent and other kids got shirts, blow up stuff, would u be upset if the kids got nothing - its not my responsibility but still...
iPod Touch, 64 GB iPhone 5, 64 GB iPad 3

Last edited by puckhead193; Aug 14, 2006 at 03:56 PM.
puckhead193 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 03:58 PM   #2
j26
macrumors 65816

It's easy enough, but takes a little time. Each one takes about 3 minutes to iron on, and then of course the printing time, and removing the backing sheet needs to be done carefully.

Just remember to mirror the image, or it turns out backwards.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 04:03 PM   #3
Applespider
macrumors 603

It is relatively easy to do...

Two things to watch out for - don't have the iron too hot or you can make the edge of the transfer yellow slightly. And make sure you keep it on the edges long enough and push down hard or it will peel round the edges.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 04:18 PM   #4
beatsme
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead193
How hard/easy is it to do the iron on transfers? how long do u think it will take to make about 15 of them?
My group is performing "who let the dogs out" in front of their parents. They have dance moves etc. But a lot of groups their counselors made shirts for them or have some form of a costume like one group has blow up guitars/microphones, visors, etc. The person in charged said they are going to make doggy ears, but i don't see that happening. Do you think i should make up shirts.

I made up a mock of the survivor logo with the camp name, and on the bottom, the group name and year.
Should i ruin my whole night and make them or not? If you were a parent and other kids got shirts, blow up stuff, would u be upset if the kids got nothing - its not my responsibility but still...
I would try this:

go to a dry cleaner/laundry place (any place that has one of those big, ironing-board sized irons), and see if you can get them to do the actual ironing for you. The transfers really work best if there's even heat/pressure applied over the same area for the same amount of time...kind of hard to do with a regular home iron.

or this:

You might check with a local screen printing place or two...one of them might have an old transfer press lying around. I'm sure they'd be happy to do the transfers for you...

15 of these with a home iron...dunno how long exactly, but longer than you'll want to spend doing them, that's for sure.

As for whether or not you should...yeesh. Who knows?

What's your time frame? You have to have them by when, tonight?
beatsme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 04:28 PM   #5
puckhead193
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsme
What's your time frame? You have to have them by when, tonight?
i would have to do this tonight... for tomorrow morning
Old Aug 14, 2006, 04:38 PM   #6
beatsme
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead193
i would have to do this tonight... for tomorrow morning
ouch...

in that amount of time, I'm not sure it's worth it. If you rush through it then chances are they're going to suck.

at this point, you might want to bite the bullet and go the pre-printed route. I'm sure there are any number of athletic team-looking tees available at Goody's, Kohl's, Target...you might hop onto one of their websites and see what's available.

I know it's not athletics, per se, but it might be a neat angle...playing up the "team" aspect of it.

best of luck
beatsme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 05:47 PM   #7
decksnap
macrumors 68030

If you can, trim the graphics around the edges so you don't iron on the entire sheet. For the most part, even though the sheet is 'transparent', you can still see the clear blank areas of the sheet once they're ironed on. Looks a bit crappy.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 06:35 PM   #8
faustfire
macrumors 6502a

Make sure to us white or very light colored shirts. Iron on transfers will not work on dark fabric.
faustfire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:29 PM   #9
puckhead193
macrumors G3

thanks for the replies guys/girls! I did it and it wasn't too bad, got them done in about an hr. They look good. I should have trimmed around the graphic, so it was just the graphic and not excess paper. But given my short time schedule it worked out pretty well. I hope my kids appreciate the work i did tonight.

i want to make my own shirts now with an apple theme in mind i wouldn't mind also having a black hoodie with just a simple white apple logo on it...
Old Aug 18, 2006, 03:45 AM   #10
ED982
macrumors newbie

removing white from iron ons

Hey anyone know how to remove the excess transparent bits from an iron on transfer shirt?

forgot to cut off the white bits before ironing.
ED982 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 02:59 PM   #11
mac.FINN
macrumors member

You can cut it out now

Honestly I don't know of a way.
mac.FINN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 03:10 PM   #12
Lau

No, I think anything involving more heat would make even more of a mess to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.FINN
You can cut it out now
Although this is a joke, it is one possible fix, if you don't mind sacrificing the t-shirt cut it out of the t-shirt you ironed it on, and sew it onto another t-shirt.
  0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics