Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
I just went to Apple's on-line store to price out a MacPro (yes, I'm close to pulling the trigger on that one :D ) and noticed the ATI X1900 XT option is now $250, down from $350!! That pays for my Bluetooth/Wireless Ethernet option :)

EDIT: Unfortunately, ship date is still "3-4 weeks" :/

cjkihlbom

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2006
Great news, thanks!

Just had a look in the Swedish store, and they still have the old price. Hope they update it soon.

Snarf

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2004
Upstate New York
I'm wondering if we'll see a BTO option for the X1950XT at $350 now. Perhaps they will in fact bump orders already placed up to an X1950XT, but if they don't I'd better at least get that $100 back! :)

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Wow, this really is great news. I hope they get X1950s in there soon (read within a week or so). I haven't been that impressed by the X1900 chips.

syrianos

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
Spanky Deluxe said:
The UK store should hopefully bring the price down to 169.99 or 174.99 pretty soon.

i just called applestore to ask em about it(from belgium), they said they had no news about applestore europe so far, the guy wasn't even aware of the pricedrop in the US. either way, if the same pricedrop doesn't occur to the european market i'm cancelling the x1900xt, wait a few months and buy the best upgrade kit available at that time, they can't just keep the price the same in europe, especially since ATi dropped the prices so much after the introduction of 5 new 1900 based cards last week...

MaxPower2k6

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2006
Spanky Deluxe said:
Wow, this really is great news. I hope they get X1950s in there soon (read within a week or so). I haven't been that impressed by the X1900 chips.

So you're not impressed with one of the fastest chips on the market, but you will be impressed with one that's less than 10 percent faster and a couple degrees cooler?

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
MaxPower2k6 said:
So you're not impressed with one of the fastest chips on the market, but you will be impressed with one that's less than 10 percent faster and a couple degrees cooler?

I'm more impressed with nVidia's recent cards. The x1900 is old hat now and quite long in the tooth for a top end machine. The x1950 is at least the flagship model. TBH I'd be a lot happier if there was a top end nVidia (non Quadro) card in there. ATI cards have left a bad taste in my mouth in the past. Guess I shouldn't go around eating them.

ammon

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2005
Colorado
EvilMonk said:
:D Do you think they will drop the price for us that allready ordered the x1900xt video card and are waiting to get our macs?

That is what I am hoping for!

Who has called Apple regarding this?!?!?!?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Spanky Deluxe said:
I'm more impressed with nVidia's recent cards. The x1900 is old hat now and quite long in the tooth for a top end machine. The x1950 is at least the flagship model. TBH I'd be a lot happier if there was a top end nVidia (non Quadro) card in there. ATI cards have left a bad taste in my mouth in the past.

You're not alone. I'd prefer an nVidia card too. My hope is that either:
a) Someone works out how to flash standard consumer cards to work
b) EFI becomes more popular in PC land and standard cards work anyway.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
robbieduncan said:
You're not alone. I'd prefer an nVidia card too. My hope is that either:
a) Someone works out how to flash standard consumer cards to work
b) EFI becomes more popular in PC land and standard cards work anyway.

A good start would be to extract the firmware from an Apple 7300gt and flash it onto an off the shelf PC 7300gt. Also, I've heard of people flashing Quadro firmwares onto their GeForce brothers so maybe someone can extract the firmware off a Quadro and flash it onto an off the shelf GeForce card of similar design.

damado

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
Well they better either charge me less or give me a 1950XTX...

Please let us know if you get a discount when you call.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Spanky Deluxe said:
A good start would be to extract the firmware from an Apple 7300gt and flash it onto an off the shelf PC 7300gt. Also, I've heard of people flashing Quadro firmwares onto their GeForce brothers so maybe someone can extract the firmware off a Quadro and flash it onto an off the shelf GeForce card of similar design.

The latter is possible. I don't want a 7300. What I really want to be able to do is flash the card that I already have (a 7800GT). I may never be able to do that though.

For those worrying about price drops Apple have always passed these on in similar situations in the past (you only have to look as far back as the MBP launch).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.