Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Aug 31, 2006, 07:46 AM   #1
jrober
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to jrober
Route Map Design Software?

All,

I want to be able to produce on my mac a route map. If you think london underground you are on the right track. What sort of software could I use to do this especially as the map grows I will need to add lines which would require changes to the map e.g. I have two stops on one route when another route crosses it meaning I have to extend the gap between the stops to keep the design integrity.

Thanks in advance.

John
Old Aug 31, 2006, 08:28 AM   #2
iGav
macrumors G3

I don't know of any specifically... though to do what you want, Illustrator would do the job, though obviously it won't automatically accommodate you adding new lines or stops.
iGav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 09:40 AM   #3
billy_d_goat
macrumors member

I have to agree with iGav here. If I were doing it, I'd just build the entire thing in Illustrator and then export to whatever format I needed. You could use different layers to keep your routes seperate. This way you could turn them on and off.
billy_d_goat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 06:31 AM   #4
jrober
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to jrober
billy_d_goat and iGav,

Is Illustrator a vector graphics program or bitmap based? I understand from a bit of research that vector based graphics are key to allowing me to link nodes and stretch etc if required.

John
Old Sep 1, 2006, 07:19 AM   #5
20rogersc
macrumors 65816

Illustrator for vectors, Photoshop for bitmaps.

::20ROGERSC::
20rogersc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 08:11 AM   #6
billy_d_goat
macrumors member

Yep, Illustrator is mainly vector based, though, you can place raster (bitmap) content. I would not recommend doing that too much. It is not really designed for it.

InDesign, also has basic vector abilities. I recently did a spotlight effect in it that is purely vectors. Looked better than the traditional Photoshop filter effect.
billy_d_goat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics