Route Map Design Software?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by jrober, Aug 31, 2006.

1. jrober macrumors regular

jrober

All,

I want to be able to produce on my mac a route map. If you think london underground you are on the right track. What sort of software could I use to do this especially as the map grows I will need to add lines which would require changes to the map e.g. I have two stops on one route when another route crosses it meaning I have to extend the gap between the stops to keep the design integrity.

Thanks in advance.

John

2. iGav macrumors G3

I don't know of any specifically... though to do what you want, Illustrator would do the job, though obviously it won't automatically accommodate you adding new lines or stops.

3. billy_d_goat macrumors member

I have to agree with iGav here. If I were doing it, I'd just build the entire thing in Illustrator and then export to whatever format I needed. You could use different layers to keep your routes seperate. This way you could turn them on and off.

4. jrober thread starter macrumors regular

jrober

billy_d_goat and iGav,

Is Illustrator a vector graphics program or bitmap based? I understand from a bit of research that vector based graphics are key to allowing me to link nodes and stretch etc if required.

John

5. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Illustrator for vectors, Photoshop for bitmaps.

::20ROGERSC::

6. billy_d_goat macrumors member

Yep, Illustrator is mainly vector based, though, you can place raster (bitmap) content. I would not recommend doing that too much. It is not really designed for it.

InDesign, also has basic vector abilities. I recently did a spotlight effect in it that is purely vectors. Looked better than the traditional Photoshop filter effect.