Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
Knowing that the mac mini has only one dvi output, is it in anyway possible to connect both to a TFT monitor and a CRT TV that supports s-video?

If yes, then how does it work? As a windows user I know that you can have different desktop modes (e.g. extended, clone). Is it possible to watch a movie on the TV while still doing some work on the monitor?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
Cue said:
Knowing that the mac mini has only one dvi output, is it in anyway possible to connect both to a TFT monitor and a CRT TV that supports s-video?

If yes, then how does it work? As a windows user I know that you can have different desktop modes (e.g. extended, clone). Is it possible to watch a movie on the TV while still doing some work on the monitor?

Thanks in advance for your input.
You need one of these: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...ore.woa/wo/2.RSLID?mco=4BB568D3&nplm=M9267G/A which will enable you to use your mini on a TV with s-video.

From what I can gather from the picture of the adapter you won't be able to use your monitor and your TV at the same time.

I don't know if a DVI splitter would do the trick though. Anybody?

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Temujin said:
You need one of these: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...ore.woa/wo/2.RSLID?mco=4BB568D3&nplm=M9267G/A which will enable you to use your mini on a TV with s-video.

From what I can gather from the picture of the adapter you won't be able to use your monitor and your TV at the same time.

I don't know if a DVI splitter would do the trick though. Anybody?

No, DVI splitters are first of all crap, and second, you have a max of 1920x1200, which is why I only recommend DVI splitters for people with DDL (Daullink DVI).

So in theory no, in practice no. You can't use them at the same time. You need to switch plugs.;)

Cue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
Thanks for your replies.

I'm surprised that noone has a dual monitor setup (TV + TFT) for his mac mini. Isn't supposed to be a media center? :/
But then again Apple shouldn't have just 1 dvi output...

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
Cue said:
I'm surprised that noone has a dual monitor setup (TV + TFT) for his mac mini. Isn't supposed to be a media center? :/

As far as I know, it's a computer originally intended to lure more people into buying a mac. The whole media center thing was added later and isn't officially a goal for Apple in any way (that I know of).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.