Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thworple

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2005
Sussex, England
picture1xu9.png

Is this a first - UK buyers getting something that our transatlantic cousins do not?? :confused:

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
All man that is horrible...just checked it and it seems you are correct...no nano with the new imac :(

That could be a deciding factor for many.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
thworple said:
Is this a first - UK buyers getting something that our transatlantic cousins do not?? :confused:

The text for me in the US is:

How to get your free iPod.

1. Buy a Mac.
Buy a new MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, or Power Mac G5.

2. Add an iPod.
Purchase any iPod with a qualifying Mac and get up to $179 back after mail-in rebate.*

3. Submit your rebate.
After you receive your products, start your rebate online for fastest processing. Or download and mail the rebate form.

I noted that yours doesn't include the iMac 17" -- was that always true over there?

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
It includes the Core Duo 17" and 20"ers, but only includes the 20" and 24" of the Core 2 Duo models.

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
Wow, that just sux! Well, I know who I won't be buying an iMac from should I decide that is what is right for me. I would guess that Amazon will still have their $100 and no tax or shipping deals on this model as well though...

SpankyPenzaanz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
That does blow but last year they didn't have the promo on the mac mini but on everything else and about a month later the ipodmini went away and in came the nano. I settled for a $100 printer/scannerr allinone. I'll give it to my parents my mom wants to scan in old photos anyways and she can use it for regular stuff. And it will be free after rebate.

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
I think this is bad business for Apple. When you introduce a promotion ending on a certain date, it is b.s. to change it half way through.

Before today essentially "Buy an iMac before the 16th, get a free nano." Today: not.

Somewhat false advertisement.

What if someone was waiting until later to buy because they did not have the money. I think this sucks.

BUT it is somewhat ok since they dropped the prices.

I bet the difference between UK and US policy is completely legal. There might be a law in the UK that keeps this from doing this. The UK seems to have stricter rules when it comes to this (not necessarily better but that's another debate all together).

aiongiant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
boo! no more back to school promo with the new iMac

i think Apple knew this to begin with and also prob changed it so If the new nanos come out next week it won't be included also

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
the mbs and mbps probably won't be eligible either. sad sad sad. this will change my decision completely.

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
Wow..Do you guys want a top notch totally brand new iMac or a 129 doller ipod that is gonna be replaced with a new model in a month? It seems like everyone was crying because they wanted the imacs to be updated to core 2 due and now that they are and the promo is gone everyone will bash apple about that. Maybe its a typo on the U.S. site? Maybe you can still get it? Anyone try to call them about it? Sure I know anyone would love to have a FREE ipod but what is more important to you, a core 2 due imac that everyone has been losing sleep waiting for or a core due model and a 129 doller ipod? :confused:

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
JMies419 said:
Wow..Do you guys want a top notch totally brand new iMac or a 129 doller ipod that is gonna be replaced with a new model in a month? It seems like everyone was crying because they wanted the imacs to be updated to core 2 due and now that they are and the promo is gone everyone will bash apple about that. Maybe its a typo on the U.S. site? Maybe you can still get it? Anyone try to call them about it? Sure I know anyone would love to have a FREE ipod but what is more important to you, a core 2 due imac that everyone has been losing sleep waiting for or a core due model and a 129 doller ipod? :confused:

If I remember right, it's $179.

It's not about the iPod for everyone. You need to remember you can sell your free nano, and that it's effectively like a $150 discount on your iMac purchase.

And to students who have this education iPod discount, money is important. The difference between paying $2100 and $2000 for my iMac isn't too big, but it does matter.

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
Ah the $129 ipod is the 1Gig, not the 2gig. Anyways, I understand that people wanted to maybe sell the ipod for money to put twords there machine. I think that if someone was to call Apple they would include the offer on the new imacs as well. Just seems like everryone was crying about waiting for core 2 due, everyone was talking about the POSSIBILITY that the promo would not be included if NEW macs were released, everyone who waited for the new imac rolled the dice, and this is where we are at. Call apple and complain if you dont like it..i would if I wanted a new imac and the free nano.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
JMies419 said:
Wow..Do you guys want a top notch totally brand new iMac or a 129 doller ipod that is gonna be replaced with a new model in a month?

Meh, it's just idle chatter. In our grand scheme it's less dissatisfaction with the change (I could care less) than the small possibility that it can somehow be converted into a crazy rumor about impending amazing products from Apple. :p

Clearly, in that light, this is evidence of an iPhone by the end of the week, Video iPod with iTMS Movie Store next Tuesday, iTablet by the end of September, and Leopard's release date moved up to January. :D

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
mkrishnan said:
Meh, it's just idle chatter. In our grand scheme it's less dissatisfaction with the change (I could care less) than the small possibility that it can somehow be converted into a crazy rumor about impending amazing products from Apple. :p

Clearly, in that light, this is evidence of an iPhone by the end of the week, Video iPod with iTMS Movie Store next Tuesday, iTablet by the end of September, and Leopard's release date moved up to January. :D

Wishful thinking! :D

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
JMies419 said:

The money isn't a huge deal to me. I will be getting a new MBP with or without the Nano.

What bothers me is that Apple made a "deal" if you buy a new Mac before the 16th you get a free iPod. Now they are saying too bad, we changed our minds.

IMO they should have done one of two things:
included it the promo, like they said it was all along (until today)
or
released the new products on the 17th (day after the promo eneded)

I am pretty sure it isn't a typo:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...re2IwkOcEaB2v4UgA/0.0.19.1.0.8.13.0.1.0.0.0.0
No iMacs

Their adds say "Buy a Mac and get a free iPod Nano*"
The subtitle says "Buy a qualifying Mac..."

I understand marketing and the use of "*", but please give me a break Apple.

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
ChickenSwartz said:
The money isn't a huge deal to me. I will be getting a new MBP with or without the Nano.

What bothers me is that Apple made a "deal" if you buy a new Mac before the 16th you get a free iPod. Now they are saying too bad, we changed our minds.

IMO they should have done one of two things:
included it the promo, like they said it was all along (until today)
or
released the new products on the 17th (day after the promo eneded)

I am pretty sure it isn't a typo:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...re2IwkOcEaB2v4UgA/0.0.19.1.0.8.13.0.1.0.0.0.0
No iMacs

Their adds say "Buy a Mac and get a free iPod Nano*"
The subtitle says "Buy a qualifying Mac..."

I understand marketing and the use of "*", but please give me a break Apple.

I would be very interested to hear the outcome of someone calling and complaining about this.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
ChickenSwartz said:

How did they change their minds? There was a list of qualifying Macs from day one. That list has not changed. I bet your local campus reseller and the Apple stores still have qualifying versions in stock...go ahead and pick one up!

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
WildCowboy said:
How did they change their minds? There was a list of qualifying Macs from day one. That list has not changed. I bet your local campus reseller and the Apple stores still have qualifying versions in stock...go ahead and pick one up!

You are right. They never changed the list. I take that part back.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
ChickenSwartz said:
I think this is bad business for Apple. When you introduce a promotion ending on a certain date, it is b.s. to change it half way through.

It is not BS, if Apple has actual model numbers like everyone else the wording of the advertisement would have been "Get a free iPod Nano with the purchase of iMac id1s21d, id1s21e, and id1s21f..."

The old model iMacs under Apple's stupid line of thinking no longer exists, and as such the promotion is no longer applicable to them.

Like I said, the iPod is payment to the student for services rendered, since their services are no longer required for these spanking new stock there is no need for Apple to pay them.

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
Oh but Apple does have model numbers for all of their products. IMO it is misleading and borderline unethical to change the rules of a promotion in the middle of it. To me this just shows that the corporate bean counters need to be reigned in a little. What is the saying about one less olive?

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
ddrueckhammer said:
Oh but Apple does have model numbers for all of their products. IMO it is misleading and borderline unethical to change the rules of a promotion in the middle of it. To me this just shows that the corporate bean counters need to be reigned in a little. What is the saying about one less olive?

Thank you. I agree totally.

I would expect this from other companies, but I expected more from Apple.

manutd

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2006
London
ipod offer still on in UK, just ordered one with my brand spanking new core2duo 2gb ram 17 inch imac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.