Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I noticed that and was quite pissed.

My friend's father was going to use my student discount to get a new computer and he was going to get the iMac and get the nano, but now he's not since that was a big part of it.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
ripfrankwhite said:
I'm in the US and the offer is still available. What is everyone talking about?

Only the previous model iMacs are included in the promotion, not the newest ones.

ripfrankwhite

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2005
admanimal said:
Only the previous model iMacs are included in the promotion, not the newest ones.

Ok, I understand. I'm kinda slow, I guess. :p That does disappoint me. :(

manutd

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2006
London
This is from the UK store

"Buy a new MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac with SuperDrive, Mac Pro or Power Mac G5 from the Apple Store for Education."

so not all models are supported just imacs with super drives, also on the wednesday the imacs were released the ipod offer was not available only the £60 off printer offer was on.

dropadrop

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2006
Here in Finland the rebate form talks about the old mac's, but the webpage talks about iMacs with a superdrive. I called Apple and they told me that (atleast here) any iMac with a superdrive qualifies (in other words anything but the cheapest one).

Also, when I bought my 20" iMac last night, I was directed to a page asking if I want an iPod or not (and ofcourse I did).

Aldyn

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006
what the hell. i was hoping the imac update would come within the promo's time span. and it did. but now i can't even buy my 24"imac and get the free nano?

the uk store lets it happen, but not the us :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
I posted this on another thread but got no reply. Maybe someone on this thread can help. :D

The iPod promotion F.A.Q. states this *This offer is available only on purchases of new product*, but the Apple store does not have this qualifying model iMac new *iMac 17-inch Intel Core Duo with SuperDrive*, it's only listed in the refurbished store. Would buying a refurbished iMac qualify me for a free iPod?

From F.A.Q.

What are the qualifying Mac and iPods?
This offer is available only on purchases of new product. The products listed below are eligible for participation in this offer. Products not listed in this chart are ineligible for a rebate. Configure to order versions of these products are eligible. Refurbished products are ineligible.

Product Family Qualifying Products
iMac iMac 17-inch Intel Core Duo with SuperDrive

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
The price dropped about $200 on these new, improved iMacs. There is your free Nano. The "old" core Duo may still be available in the Apple stores in which case you can still get the Nano deal by buying the Imac at the old price, which is again, about $200 higher.. But online, those units are no longer available.

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
lcseds said:
The price dropped about $200 on these new, improved iMacs. There is your free Nano. The "old" core Duo may still be available in the Apple stores in which case you can still get the Nano deal by buying the Imac at the old price, which is again, about $200 higher.. But online, those units are no longer available.

Thanks for not answering my question. A simple I don't know would do. :rolleyes:

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
dan-o-mac said:
Thanks for not answering my question. A simple I don't know would do. :rolleyes:

But I do know, and so do you. You already answered your own question in your post. Might be why you got no replies the last time.:cool:

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Warbrain said:
I noticed that and was quite pissed.

My friend's father was going to use my student discount to get a new computer and he was going to get the iMac and get the nano, but now he's not since that was a big part of it.

Your friends father isn't entitled to *your* student discount anyway so tell him to stop crying and just buy a mac.

edit*...*

lightster

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2006
(Southern) California, USA
I ordered a 20" BTO iMac and an iPod on August 31 using my education discount. My order still had not shipped by September 6, so Apple upgraded my order to the Core 2 Duo. The same day I received an email saying that my purchase will still be eligible for the "College students, buy a Mac & get a free iPod nano" promotion.

This may only be true for people who purchased an iMac and iPod before the 6th, but if the promo is the reason you were going to make a purchase, I would send Apple an email or give them a call.

Philgr

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2005
Lakes - UK
I followed the links on the UK website for students / education and ordered a 20'' Imac BTO and the offer came up for a Ipod or a printer, so i added a 4 gig Ipod nano to the order and downloaded the rebate form.

I have ordered the Imac in my wifes name who is a Teaching Assistant at a local school and is also doing some further education courses.

PG

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
lcseds said:
But I do know, and so do you. You already answered your own question in your post. Might be why you got no replies the last time.:cool:

I still don't understand how they have an iMac core duo as eligable but you can't buy one from the Apple store. I'll just call them myself and see what they say. :D

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
That's the best bet. The online store will dump remaining inventory through the outlet. The stores that have remaining inventory will handle liquidation themselves I suppose. The problem is the price drop. If they take $200 off remaining Core Duo inventory and still throw in a Nano, thats taking away alot of profit. That's why this particular deal is of little value to the iMac folks. It now looks like:
20" iMac Core Duo with free nano...available nowhere (but deal still applies to Macbook, Macbook Pro, etc).
20" iMac Core Duo old inventory at Apple Store $1699 with free $179 Nano (that's no deal!)
or...
20" iMac Core 2 Duo with more memory, cache, etc, $1499 but no Nano.

I cannot find, a price reduced Core Duo Imac for $1499 that I can score the free Nano on.
If that is what you want, good luck to you. I don't think you will find it.

ron dj

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2006
http://www.apple.com/uk

I've never been to the UK site, so I wouldn't know anything about its differences, but when I did go, I noticed that the prices are alot higher when converted into the Dollar, and when you purchase ANY Mac with the educational promotion, you don't get the Nano for free.. rather, there's a small charge, and also much higher prices for the iPod, almost double that of the US store. I'm guessing that the UK store still endorses the "free Nano" promotion over the US store because it balances out the cost due to the significant price increase (ie, more than $179, etc).

Did I not see the UK pricing correctly?

radakaal

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2006
Called Apple yesterday. The rep said there should be no problem getting the rebate with the new imac. If you go to the store, scroll down to promos and click on it, it still lists imac as a qualifying item. When you click on imac, it takes you to the new imac. I think a reasonable person would believe this to mean the promotion is good for the new imac.

deadkenny

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2006
In the german store it sais this:

Nur 3 kleine Schritte
1. Kaufe einen Mac.
Kaufe im Apple Store Bildung ein neues MacBook oder MacBook Pro oder einen iMac mit SuperDrive Laufwerk oder einen Mac Pro oder einen Power Mac G5.

2. Kaufe einen iPod.
Kaufe gleichzeitig einen iPod.

3. Sende deinen Rabattantrag ein.
Wenn du die bestellten Produkte erhalten hast, lade den Rabattcoupon und sende ihn per Post ein.​

Which is more or less the same. The offer is valid for all superdrive iMacs and will last until October 7th.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
radakaal said:
Called Apple yesterday. The rep said there should be no problem getting the rebate with the new imac. If you go to the store, scroll down to promos and click on it, it still lists imac as a qualifying item. When you click on imac, it takes you to the new imac. I think a reasonable person would believe this to mean the promotion is good for the new imac.

No, a resonable person would read the rebate requirements which clearly state the new iMacs are excluded. What someone, whom knows nothing apparently, tells you over the phone is not relevent. The rebate form lists the requirements of purchase and exclusions. THAT, is the final word on the rebate.
Anyone who wants to try and score a deal like a new iMac and an ipod rebate is free to try, but don't be disappointed when you get declined.

radakaal

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2006
Sure, it's very clear now that they have changed the web pages. When I ordered, my imac last week, I clicked on the ipod rebate link. The imac was right there at the top of the list.(yes, I saved a copy of the page) When I clicked on the word, imac, it took me to the imac page displaying the new imacs. I didn't feel the need to look at the faq page since the rebate links took me to the core 2 duo imacs. I ordered the imac and an ipod and now I find out I don't qualify.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Sorry you are unhappy. But I saw this the day the new iMacs were released. The web pages reflected this immediately, as per the rebate guidelines. If you had been watching and waiting, like many of us were, you made have thought the deal still applied. But if you checked the rebate page the day the new iMacs were out, it would have been obvious. Again, sorry you feel as though you were duped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.