Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Mar 29, 2003, 11:29 AM   #1
rayneg
macrumors newbie

I need help buying a cable modem

Hi,

I'm going to be getting a cable internet account through Comcast here in sunny Portland Oregon. I want to look into buying the modem myself. Can someone please point me to a reliable, bare-bones model?

Ideally, it will use firewire because all my USB ports are used up. I'm running 10.2.3. Thank you!
rayneg is offline   0
Old Mar 29, 2003, 11:44 AM   #2
conceptdev
macrumors regular

I do not believe that such a thing as a firewire cable modem exists. You would want one with an ethernet port. Not a USB because that would be as slow as death.
conceptdev is offline   0
Old Mar 29, 2003, 12:05 PM   #3
rayneg
macrumors newbie

Yes, the ethernet port would be even better. I found USB port models on eBay and was concerned that might be the standard.
rayneg is offline   0
Old Mar 29, 2003, 12:39 PM   #4
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68030

Radio Shack sells an RCA Cable Modem for $79.99 and I have a friend that bought one and it works well. It handles both USB and Ethernet, but the USB drivers are for PC only so you would have to use the Ethernet port for the Mac. Of course, I would recommend Ethernet as the way to go anyhow, USB would be slow and if you are running anything else through USB like a printer, camera, or an iSub it would be even slower.

I have a Toshiba PCX1100 that is an Ethernet only modem and it works well, it is not mine however. The Cable company here includes a cable modem with the cost of the service, so why buy one when you have to pay for theirs anyway.
Old Mar 29, 2003, 01:45 PM   #5
Vlade
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally posted by conceptdev
I do not believe that such a thing as a firewire cable modem exists. You would want one with an ethernet port. Not a USB because that would be as slow as death.
USB is more than enough, it runs at 12mbps, cable modems range from 256bps to 3mbps.

Most cable companies lend or give you the modem I thought, mine did.
Vlade is offline   0
Old Mar 29, 2003, 09:09 PM   #6
daniel77
Banned

use the one the ISP gives you
daniel77 is offline   0
Old Mar 29, 2003, 10:10 PM   #7
ebow
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally posted by daniel77
use the one the ISP gives you
I'll second that, especially because some (many?) ISPs will charge you a higher rate if you use your own cablemodem. Sucks, but that's business, I suppose.
ebow is offline   0
Old Mar 29, 2003, 10:48 PM   #8
alset
macrumors 65816

Comcast only charges three dollars per month for modem rental. Use that.

Dan
Old Mar 29, 2003, 11:10 PM   #9
daniel77
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ebow
I'll second that, especially because some (many?) ISPs will charge you a higher rate if you use your own cablemodem. Sucks, but that's business, I suppose.
yes, it is quite sad that you are locked into a monopoly when you move into an area, building etc. I am so happy that i switched to digital cable, especially since i get a discount on my HSI too through comcast
daniel77 is offline   0
Old Mar 29, 2003, 11:17 PM   #10
Xero
macrumors 6502

i agree with using the modem they supply. only only costs a few bucks a month extra, and you can use the money you save to buy a router with a built in firewall, as i would not recommend connecting to a broadband/static IP connection without some sort of hardware firewall.
Xero is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers