Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Sep 13, 2006, 01:46 AM   #1
levitynyc
macrumors 6502a

Question about setting up a Mac with Verizon DSL

Currently on my PC I have Verizon DSL. When I sign on, I need to login to verizon DSL with my user name and Password in order to connect. When I first signed up, I needed to install the verizon software.

Is the process easy to do on a Mac as I am thinking of buyin an iMac soon?

I don't plan on keeping the PC and I dont run a wireless network or anything.

I guess my question is, Do I need to software CD or is it relatively simple (like on the Xbox 360) to just plug in the wire to the iMac and run a few quick steps?
levitynyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 02:08 AM   #2
thewhitehart
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to thewhitehart Send a message via Yahoo to thewhitehart
Quote:
Originally Posted by levitynyc
Currently on my PC I have Verizon DSL. When I sign on, I need to login to verizon DSL with my user name and Password in order to connect. When I first signed up, I needed to install the verizon software.

Is the process easy to do on a Mac as I am thinking of buyin an iMac soon?

I don't plan on keeping the PC and I dont run a wireless network or anything.

I guess my question is, Do I need to software CD or is it relatively simple (like on the Xbox 360) to just plug in the wire to the iMac and run a few quick steps?
Just plug the ethernet cord into the iMac. It should properly detect that you need to use PPPoE. If it doesn't, there is a field under System Preferences > Network > Ethernet (Drop Down List) > PPPoE (tab bar list). You will have to fill in your name and password. Very easy. Network connections are entered in a uniform fashion in OS X. So is Windows, in a way, but you get more easily tricked into thinking you need to install Verizon's proprietary connection software, which you don't really have to. Does it show you ads and have a button for 'one-stop shopping', etc? You rarely, pretty much never, have to install your ISP's connection software on your mac.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 02:19 AM   #3
Super Macho Man
macrumors 6502a

If Verizon's DSL is the same as AT&T's (formerly SBC Yahoo's), what Verizon didn't tell you is that you don't really need to install their software, even on your PC. You can configure the DSL modem through any web browser. The DSL modem stores your account name and password and handles the login to Verizon's network for you. You just connect your Mac(s) to the modem and it should automatically assign them an IP address.

Try going to http://192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 in your web browser.
Super Macho Man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 02:22 AM   #4
Super Macho Man
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhitehart
Just plug the ethernet cord into the iMac. It should properly detect that you need to use PPPoE. If it doesn't, there is a field under System Preferences > Network > Ethernet (Drop Down List) > PPPoE (tab bar list). You will have to fill in your name and password. Very easy. Network connections are entered in a uniform fashion in OS X. So is Windows, in a way, but you get more easily tricked into thinking you need to install Verizon's proprietary connection software, which you don't really have to. Does it show you ads and have a button for 'one-stop shopping', etc? You rarely, pretty much never, have to install your ISP's connection software on your mac.
Just to clarify for levitynyc, PPPoE can be run on the Mac or on the modem (at least with the DSL modem I have experience with). My post talked about the "on the modem" way of doing it, yours talked about the "on the Mac" way. I guess they're pretty much equivalent - the "on the modem" way might use less of the Mac's CPU, but I haven't tested this.
Super Macho Man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 02:22 AM   #5
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

The Verizon software is only needed to set up a brand new account, and even then you can do it manually with a normal Web browser using undocumented addresses.

But if your service is already set up, you don't need to worry about this. If you have one of the newer Westell boxes with the built-in NAT, the Mac should work out of the box, as soon as you plug it in.
iMeowbot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 02:28 AM   #6
levitynyc
macrumors 6502a

Thank you so much for all your help!
levitynyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:13 AM   #7
aerdman
macrumors newbie

Verizon DSL Information

Things to know about VOL DSL

1. DO NOT install the verizon cd on your MAC!!!!!!

2. Know what modem you are using - here is a list for you
2100 white westell - No Router
2110 Westell Combo - no router
Westell 2200 - built-in Router
Westell 6100 - built-in Router
Westell Versalink 327 - built-in Router
Actiontec - built-in Router
Westell 6110 - No router

3. Modems listed with routers can be accessed and set up to connect you to the internet.
4. Creating a PPPoE connection in OSX - Manually (NO CD)
a. go to Apple > System Preferences
b. choose Network
c. Drop Down the Location menu
d. choose NEW Location
e. Name your Location anything you want click OK
f. Drop down SHOW
g. Choose Network Port Configuraitons
H. Uncheck all Ports except for Ethernet
I. Drop down the SHOW menu again
j. Choose ETHERNET
K. Go to the TCP/IP Tab
L. Chck the connect using PPPoE boxx
M. Enter your User ID and Password (account id or Email Id will work)
N. chek the box that says to Show PPPoE status in Menu Bar
O. Click on the <...> Icon by the clock and choose connect
WHALLAH you are online ....
If you have a connection to a router configure the router using PPPoE and enter you user id information when prompted.
aerdman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:20 AM   #8
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Aerdman, you just deserve kudos for a great post.

Just out of curiosity, are the instructions for PPPoE from OS X for the with-router modems or the without-router modems? I'm assuming the latter, but I just wanted to clarify.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 12:39 PM   #9
Reimer
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan
Aerdman, you just deserve kudos for a great post.

Just out of curiosity, are the instructions for PPPoE from OS X for the with-router modems or the without-router modems? I'm assuming the latter, but I just wanted to clarify.
Without.... if a DSL modem has built in PPPoE authentication then theres no need to set PPPoE up in OS X. You could just telnet or use the web based config for the modem to enter the login/pass info.
Reimer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 02:37 PM   #10
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer
Without.... if a DSL modem has built in PPPoE authentication then theres no need to set PPPoE up in OS X. You could just telnet or use the web based config for the modem to enter the login/pass info.
That's what I thought -- I was just making sure. But I have never used a DSL or cable modem with an integrated router before, AFAIK.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help