Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I just got an old iMac G3. It only has 128 MB RAM, and I'm wondering if it's possible for owners to add RAM themselves. I've done it on a PC tower, and on my PB, but not on one of these. Is it hard to get to?

In case I'm being unclear, it's one of these:

imac.gif

shyataroo

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2003
Hell... Wanna join me?
as an owner of a iMac G3 as well I feel your pain.

Directions: flip it over to the bottom. there should be 2 ram sticks in there already, take them both out and replace with 1 512 133Mhz ram stick (or if you want 1GB)

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
shyataroo said:
as an owner of a iMac G3 as well I feel your pain.

Directions: flip it over to the bottom. there should be 2 ram sticks in there already, take them both out and replace with 1 512 133Mhz ram stick (or if you want 1GB)

Thanks, I'm thinking 1 GB. :)

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Pretty darn simple to do it, isn't it? I love those old iMacs. I still have one sitting at home that I use from time to time and it's now a game machine for my little brothers.

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
This one is mainly going to be used for synching iCal, Address book etc between my PB at home, and the G3 at work. I have a Dell at work, and really miss being able to use iCal actively while at work.

I also have a tablet for Chinese input that is too old for 10.4, so I can finally use that, as well. :)

Now I just have to fork out the $$ for the RAM. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.