Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
I've downloaded eclipse for mac, but I cannot get any of my programs to run properly. I suspect i need some other program to go along with eclipse bc i've compied programs out of my text book so it is not a compiler error.

I am totally new to programming but I need to compile and run programs for a class at my University.

Can someone please tell me what all I need to have a ECLIPSE/JAVA enviornment run properly on OS X?

Once again, i have only downloaded Eclipse and it is verion 3.2.1

THank you!

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
mac000 said:
I've downloaded eclipse for mac, but I cannot get any of my programs to run properly. I suspect i need some other program to go along with eclipse bc i've compied programs out of my text book so it is not a compiler error.

I am totally new to programming but I need to compile and run programs for a class at my University.

Can someone please tell me what all I need to have a ECLIPSE/JAVA enviornment run properly on OS X?

Once again, i have only downloaded Eclipse and it is verion 3.2.1

Have you installed Apple's Developer Tools? These come on your OS X install disk but a more recent version is available from the Apple web site. The download is a few hundred MB so you will want a fast connection before you download.

Developer Tools installs the Java SDK so if you do not have it installed you will have problems using Eclipse.

mac000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
mrichmon said:
Have you installed Apple's Developer Tools? These come on your OS X install disk but a more recent version is available from the Apple web site. The download is a few hundred MB so you will want a fast connection before you download.

Developer Tools installs the Java SDK so if you do not have it installed you will have problems using Eclipse.

ok, so when i put in my DISC 1, i have a few options. When you say developer tools, do i want to install

1) XCODE TOOLS ~ PACKAGES ~ DEVELOPER TOOLS.PKG?

or

2) XCODE TOOLS ~ XCODETOOLS.MPKG?

or

3) something different?

thanks people!

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
mac000 said:
ok, so when i put in my DISC 1, i have a few options. When you say developer tools, do i want to install

1) XCODE TOOLS ~ PACKAGES ~ DEVELOPER TOOLS.PKG?

or

2) XCODE TOOLS ~ XCODETOOLS.MPKG?

or

3) something different?

On Disk 1 of the MacBook OS X install disk there is an "Xcode Tools" folder. Inside this folder is "XcodeTools.mpkg". Run this installer. Then restart Eclipse (you might need to create a new Eclipse workspace for Eclipse to correctly find your newly installed Java SDK.

mac000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
mrichmon said:
On Disk 1 of the MacBook OS X install disk there is an "Xcode Tools" folder. Inside this folder is "XcodeTools.mpkg". Run this installer. Then restart Eclipse (you might need to create a new Eclipse workspace for Eclipse to correctly find your newly installed Java SDK.

i'll give it a try, thanks a lot

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
mrichmon said:

Don't think it matters, I've got Eclipse running and I never installed Apple's Developer Tools.

Heath

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2005
Canada
You must have installed Java manually then. That's the missing piece for Eclipse. Installing the Apple developer tools is usually the easiest way to do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.