Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

PCMag publishes a ThinkSecret report about an upcoming spreadsheet application from Apple.

According to their sources, Apple is working on a spreadsheet component to iWork '07 to accompany Keynote 4 and Pages 3 updates. Codenamed "Lasso", the new spreadsheet is not expected to be as feature-packed as Excel, however, it is said to be a step up from the Appleworks spreadsheet module that was last updated in 2000:

Lasso's function editor will sport more than 200 hundred functions that will span a number of needs, from financial to statistical and possibly niche applications such as engineering, sources say.

Internet connectivity, Excel file-format compatibility, and an easy interface are listed as other features. Pre-built templates for common tasks, such as, personal finance, business, personal planning and more are also reportedly bundled.

Apple's Keynote and Pages applications are also expected to see updates and have been detailed in previous reports (Keynote '07, Pages 3). ThinkSecret previously had provided some preliminary information on Apple's spreadsheet application which had been dubbed "Charts" at that time.

Over the past two years, Apple has introduced iWork updates at the Macworld San Francisco conference in January. The next Macworld Expo takes place between January 8th and 12th, 2007 in San Francisco.

Update: This report is a republishing of a previous ThinkSecret report

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Sounds good. :) What about Numbers? I pray they don't dumb it down like Pages, please!

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
iWork updates are always welcome in my book, but I'm not sure "Lasso" will ever be as successful as Pages or Keynote. With programs like Pages or Keynote, you don't need guaranteed interoperability, but with Excel it's different. With Excel, you are less likely to distribute it in printed form or orally in a presentation, rather you would distribute it electronically. Plus, when it comes to numbers, there is no room for error.

Excel truly is the standard in this case (actually doing a good job), and it will be very hard to convince users to switch.

ppayne

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2005
Yes, compatibility

I run a business. I send Excel files to customers. I **need** the files to be perfect, no voodoo at all, no weirdness with fonts or file conversion or print area. If it's even slightly voodoo-istic, I will not be able to use it since almost everything I do with Excel is loaded by my customers on a PC.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
spicyapple said:
Sounds good. :) What about Numbers? I pray they don't dumb it down like Pages, please!

Agree. Although not horrible, 'Pages' did not do it for me either. How about MACcel. No, that sux too. Maybe Cellmate? That would appeal to those who refused to "Just Say No". Hmm, I am glad I never studied marketing.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Macrumors said:
Lasso's function editor will sport more than 200 hundred functions that will span a number of needs, from financial to statistical and possibly niche applications such as engineering, sources say.

My God...that's like..20,000 features! (Thanks, Calculator!)

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
SMM said:
Agree. Although not horrible, 'Pages' did not do it for me either. How about MACcel. No, that sux too. Maybe Cellmate? That would appeal to those who refused to "Just Say No". Hmm, I am glad I never studied marketing.

Pages is a great app. Text only documents even come out looking better than MS Word. I think people don't like it because it isn't an exact clone of Word. It reminds me of people who won't try a Mac because the OS looks different and scares them haha.

Seriously, if you don't like the inspector then right click on the toolbar at the top and customize it. You would be surprised just how much it can be made to look and function just like Word. If you don't want the templates to come up at start then you can turn that off too.

I think that the two big shortcomings that I find with Pages is the lack of a full mail-merge functionality, which will be fixed with the release of "Lasso" or Numbers or Charts or whatever it is and the lack of a built-in thesaurus as I really don't like to copy and paste from the system wide one. The thesaurus issue is supposed to be fixed with the next version of Pages as well.

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
ppayne said:
I run a business. I send Excel files to customers. I **need** the files to be perfect, no voodoo at all, no weirdness with fonts or file conversion or print area....

Yep - if it works for everyone, it will be a success. iWork is shaping up to be a real challenge to the general publics idea of interoperability.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
EricNau said:
Excel truly is the standard in this case (actually doing a good job), and it will be very hard to convince users to switch.

Go look at Pages; Word's been the "standard" for years and Pages can write Word documents. I'm sure if Lasso, Numbers, Charts, etc. will also be able to save in Excel documents. I believe AppleWorks can, and if this is a step up, and since the world has moved a little more, there should be no problem with Excel and Apple's new application.

EricNau said:
I'm sure "Lasso" will be great, after all, Apple's calculator works flawlessly. ;) :rolleyes:

What was the problem with it again? I wasn't using a mac then.

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
It has its place.

As of right now I don't see iWork as a strong MS Office competitor. It is more of a competitor of MS Works (For home use). As far as I have seen it Keynote is the only product in the list that can compete with MS Office (Powerpoint). I would love to see a good competitor to MS Office. But look at the other competitors out there.
Word Perfect (No Modern Mac Port, And the other OS Versions have a lot of technical problems)
Open Office (Too wrapped up in being open source and making the developers look good and less on actually making it a good product)
iWork (Best Interface for most features but lacking in "Pro" Features)
Koffice, abiword (better then MS Write but not by much)
Googles Spreadsheet and Word Processor (Way to limited)
While MS Office still has it faults unfortunately it is still the best product out there.

If you are just writing papers for schooland you want to give your documents a little more style then iWorks is great. If you need to do serious work with heavy calculations and more advanced colarabration then office is still the only bet.

ibook30

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
2,000 light years from home
iMacZealot said:
Go look at Pages; Word's been the "standard" for years and Pages can write Word documents. I'm sure if Lasso, Numbers, Charts, etc. will also be able to save in Excel documents. I believe AppleWorks can, and if this is a step up, and since the world has moved a little more, there should be no problem with Excel and Apple's new application.

Hopefully, but Open Office can do a heck of a lot, and few have adopted it. For Free !!!

I agree that if Lasso, Numbers, Charts, etc. can save in a format that is pallatable to Excel - it will be more likely to succeed, but after second thoughts, I realize Apple will need what Open Office doesn't have: Marketing Dollars.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
syklee26 said:
when is .Mac update happening anyway?

Umm doesn't that usually happen sometime in the spring? The last two or three have been at least but I doubt they'll be keeping the new mail in a bag too much longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.