Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2004
I got my Macbook a couple months ago and to be honest, I noticed this issue on the very first night, but because it's so minor I thought it wouldn't be a problem OR I thought it was a characteristic of the glossy screen considering I never had one before...

Anyway, the problem is there seems to be a section of the screen, a band if you like that contains very faint 45 degree lines. These lines are only noticeable on white and light grey backgrounds and often are very hard to see. The area affected seems to be the top 5th of the screen or there about, if you have safari taking up the full 1280x800 it starts just below the bookmarks bar.

I find it's now becomming a distrction , web page backgrounds/tables often appear like they have a diagnal pattern when in fact they don't and considering I work in graphics this defect has become a bit of a problem....

Check the pics and see what you think, they might make your eyes go funny, which is just what they do to me when I'm looking at my screen. The second pic has had the contrast increased just incase you can't see the lines in the first pic. The lines are like this ////////

Would you ask for a repair?

Attachments

• macbookprob.jpg
    macbookprob.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 3,936

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
Are you sure that it's not the angle or something? If you're shifting around or moving the screen, at certain angles those lines will show up.

Sophia

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2006
Ah, I think I see it...

Well, if it's something that bothers you, go ahead and ask for a repair. What do you have to lose? :eek:

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2004
skunk said:

that's a new one on me :)

When I look at the pics I posted it's pretty obvious, especially on the second pic. Perhaps that's because I know what I'm looking for.

The fact that it's not instantly noticeable makes me think twice about taking it into an Apple Store and risking looking like a fool. But I do see it every time I use the computer so...

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Take it in...

Apple is very good about display issues. Mass produced, the latest report I read regarding these panels was an improved yield rate of 985 per 1,000. That's excellent.

But they still must cull out the defective ones before shipping them to Apple. They're bound to miss a few. You can't fault them for that.

Apple will happily replace it. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.