Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
Has anyone had problems with a Mac Pro? VLC keeps crashing on me, so does iTunes. On my G5 Powermac i used to watcha dvd, import music from a cd while browsing the web. Today i was importing a cd and listing to a podcast when itunes crashed twice. My mac pro keeps crashing when it normally should not.

I did reinstall Msc OS X that not it there must be something else, thanks.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Has anyone had problems with a Mac Pro? VLC keeps crashing on me, so does iTunes. On my G5 Powermac i used to watcha dvd, import music from a cd while browsing the web. Today i was importing a cd and listing to a podcast when itunes crashed twice. My mac pro keeps crashing when it normally should not.

I did reinstall Msc OS X that not it there must be something else, thanks.

I agree with madjew... bad RAM is probably the #1 cause of this sort of erratic behavior.

arn

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Good point. Using Migration Assistant to move anything but the most basic of data (music, videos, documents and so on) can cause problems. It's not a brilliant app. :(

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
Do you have third party RAM? Do the apps crash in a new user account? What sort of OSX reinstall did you use? :)

My RAM is from an apple reseller, it worked fine but i am thinking there is something wrong with it. I did a clean install, i erased everything then installed all the apps i had from start and updated them.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
I'm not so sure that it's anything as serious as bad RAM. I've had the odd app quit on me, and memtest seems to work fine (only waited for 1.5 cycles). I'm currently putting it down to the fact that the Mac Pro is a new machine and everything isn't perfectly optimized yet.

David

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I'm not so sure that it's anything as serious as bad RAM. I've had the odd app quit on me, and memtest seems to work fine (only waited for 1.5 cycles). I'm currently putting it down to the fact that the Mac Pro is a new machine and everything isn't perfectly optimized yet.

David

I have a Mac Pro, and the only time it's crashed is when trying an early version of Parallels.

Recurrent crashes are not normal. Crazykat, if it happens every time you use it, pull your 3rd party ram, and see if that fixes it.

arn

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Recurrent crashes are not normal. Crazykat, if it happens every time you use it, pull your 3rd party ram, and see if that fixes it.

Listen to the God! Memtest and its equivalent software-based RAM testers are pathetic. They might find fault with the RAM, but there's a very high chance they won't, even if RAM is the cause of the problem. :(

peas

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
i tried to use motion picure hd for giggles a few times.
never once have i been able to see a finished project.
kaboooooooooooooooooom!

after the 3rd time i just gave up on those apps.
i this, i that, i crash

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Surely, if you've got a Mac Pro, since it has ECC RAM, any RAM errors will be likely to show up in the ASP?

David

ILC32

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2006
What happened, Crazycat?

I seem to be experiencing the same issue. My Mac Pro 2.66 has 2 MB from Apple in 4 512 sticks. I also have the ATI card. Yesterday, the machine would crash out of programs like Word, Activity Monitor and Disk Utility. I repaired permissions and rebooted a few times, and it seemed okay. This morning, I was even able to play COD2 with no issues. Then when I was done playing, the same wierd crashes started with Activity Monitor and Disk Utility. I ran the Apple Hardware Test on the install disk. I ran both the short and extended test, and no issues were identified. After my last reboot this morning, everything seemed okay, but I had to leave for work. :confused:

What do you guys recommend I do next if this keeps recurring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.