Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
This will certainly stop the 'same questions' from re-appearing. Thanks man. :D

But you need to be more aggresive.
'If you really want to help us out get all the computers you can to start folding!' & 'We appreciate every WU you send to us and please SEND MORE!'
:D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by MrMacman
This will certainly stop the 'same questions' from re-appearing. Thanks man. :D

Ha, probably not, but at least we don't have to keep repeating things, we'll just have to point them to this thread and if they have any more questions, well, PM rowerCPU ;)

Good job there rower!

D

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by dukestreet
Ha, probably not, but at least we don't have to keep repeating things, we'll just have to point them to this thread and if they have any more questions, well, PM rowerCPU ;)

Good job there rower!

D

Couldn't have done it w/out mc68k's and your help, duke. :)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Couldn't have done it w/out mc68k's and your help, duke. :)

Well, aside from being a memeber on the team destined to get a few points (my 4 machines will do me well) - all I did was make it a sticky. :D

I did notice that a lot of memebers have stopped contributing. It unfortunate that....

D

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Well, aside from being a memeber on the team destined to get a few points (my 4 machines will do me well) - all I did was make it a sticky. :D

I did notice that a lot of memebers have stopped contributing. It unfortunate that....

D

The stickyness is appreciated.:)

Yes. Inactive members are one of our best untapped resources. They've done it before. We just need to convince them to do it again.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
here's a question that's not on there... i just realized that i could leave it folding constantly, not just at night with the console version (i thought it was too much of a CPU hog to be used with other apps)... but at night, to keep it awake, i'd like to have the screensaver kick in. is there any way to run them both, like use the console version during the day and have the screensaver work on the WU at night?

probably not huh :(

ah well, i could always blank screen...

pnw

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by eyelikeart
this is a lot of help...

thanks duke & rower...I'm glad to be helping out now... ;)

so how many attempts at downloading the first WU did it take?

D

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
so how many attempts at downloading the first WU did it take?

I walked away from it at try #6...but later on when I came back it was able to grab it at #9...

heh...6...9.... :D

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
thanks duke for stickiness, and rower for the well-written FAQ.

...and ppl who read this FAQ b4 asking questions from it. we tried to make it very general, so don't be afraid to post any questions not covered here.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
good deal on letting 'em know the text file isn't accurate...

I'm still a bit lost as to why I'm showing nothing so far...although I did put my system to sleep this morning (I forgot!) :rolleyes:

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by eyelikeart
good deal on letting 'em know the text file isn't accurate...

I'm still a bit lost as to why I'm showing nothing so far...although I did put my system to sleep this morning (I forgot!) :rolleyes:

Exactly. The logfile is the one you should go by.

RandomDeadHead

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2003
fennario
How long does it usualy take to complete a unit? I am trying it out on a 700 mhz g4 iMac at home, and have been running it for 20 hours a day, for 4 days, and I only have 65% done. Is this normal?

If all goes well with it, I plan to run it on all my Macs at work. That would have me running it on 7 procs, 14 hours a day, 24 hours on the weekends.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by RandomDeadHead
How long does it usualy take to complete a unit? I am trying it out on a 700 mhz g4 iMac at home, and have been running it for 20 hours a day, for 4 days, and I only have 65% done. Is this normal?

If all goes well with it, I plan to run it on all my Macs at work. That would have me running it on 7 procs, 14 hours a day, 24 hours on the weekends.
Nice for 7 proccessorr, too bad only 14 hours weekdays, oh well.
For my iMac 800 the smaller units take about 3 days, you might have gotten a larger unit.
You would normally go to this link to see how big a WU you are crunching, but currently it is down.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by RandomDeadHead

If you set it up correctly, you don't have to worry about when folding@home is running. I've got it going 100% of the time, yet it only actually runs when there is processor time available. Even if you're on the machine working during the day, you're not using all the processing power. And it won't interfer with the other apps.

D

RandomDeadHead

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2003
fennario
Like I said, right now I am just checking it out. If all goes well, I will check it out on my machines at the office, on a limited time basis.(14 hours a day) IF that goes well I will run it 24-7.

I just want to make shure that it plays well with my machines before I commit to it. I want to make shure my Macs are happy with doing it since THEY are the bread winners in my family.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
wow. mrmacman, i hadnt seen that link before. the work unit im crunching has a deadline fo 50 days! i better get some serious points for this bitch.
Was that sarcasm I detect?
I suppose you are crunching a 73 pointer. Good luck. :D

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
no sarcasm. i actually hadnt seen the deadline page.

ive been running the graphical client as a background app (so it doesnt clutter up my dock) so i dont really notice it at all. wish i still had access to the machines in our lab, but we actually need them for real work.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
no sarcasm. i actually hadnt seen the deadline page.

ive been running the graphical client as a background app (so it doesnt clutter up my dock) so i dont really notice it at all. wish i still had access to the machines in our lab, but we actually need them for real work.

If they are running X you can use them without getting in the way. I installed on machines in the labs at my school, this weekend. Nobody will ever notice.

Dan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.