Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
All I have is music on my iPod. No videos, no pictures and one game (Tetris). What's "other?" Seems rather large to just be the file system or album art.

other.jpg

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Other = notes in the notes folder, pre-loaded software/games, contacts etc.

But that's a hell of a lot of stuff to take up 315MB...

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Other = notes in the notes folder, pre-loaded software/games, contacts etc.

But that's a hell of a lot of stuff to take up 315MB...
I have no notes, only one game and about 30 contacts with no photos attached.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Album art takes up 68.7% of the "Other" space on my iPod. It all depends on how many songs have album art.

To find out how much space album art is taking, open Terminal and type:
Code:
du -hs "/Volumes/iPod/iPod_Control/Artwork"
where "iPod" is the name of your iPod
Same for other folders on your iPod:
Code:
du -hs /Volumes/kPod/Notes
du -hs /Volumes/iPod/Calendars
du -hs /Volumes/iPod/Contacts
du -hs /Volumes/iPod/iPod_Control/Games_RO

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Album art takes up 68.7% of the "Other" space on my iPod. It all depends on how many songs have album art.

To find out how much space album art is taking, open Terminal and type:
Code:
du -hs "/Volumes/iPod/iPod_Control/Artwork"
where "iPod" is the name of your iPod
Same for other folders on your iPod:
Code:
du -hs /Volumes/kPod/Notes
du -hs /Volumes/iPod/Contacts
du -hs /Volumes/iPod/iPod_Control/Games_RO
Terminal? I'm using Windows XP. And how much is your "Other" space taking up?

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Terminal? I'm using Windows XP.
Oh, sorry I forgot this wasn't PCRumors.com .... :rolleyes:

Anyways, on my iPod, one game and album art take up the majority of Other. Everything else is the leftover bits of Notes, Contacts, Calendars, and some other stuff that is hidden from view.

If you want to use that space, turn off album art in iTunes. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Oh, sorry I forgot this wasn't PCRumors.com .... :rolleyes:

Anyways, on my iPod, one game and album art take up the majority of Other. Everything else is the leftover bits of Notes, Contacts, Calendars, and some other stuff that is hidden from view.

If you want to use that space, turn off album art in iTunes. Otherwise, don't worry about it.
I mean, how many MB total does your "Other" take up? 315MB just seems like a lot for some album art and one game on my iPod.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
My Other is 326MB. If you turn on visibility in Windows Explorer, and then navigate to your iPod's folder, then iPod_Control, you can check the filesize of the Artwork folder and see for yourself how big it really is. For every song that has artwork, the iPod stores 2 versions of it, uncompressed.

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
It makes sense..
my "other" is 295 MB and i checked right now thanks to that nifty Terminal code, and album art takes up 211MB of space for 2586 songs. Im guessing you have more than that?

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
My Other is 326MB. If you turn on visibility in Windows Explorer, and then navigate to your iPod's folder, then iPod_Control, you can check the filesize of the Artwork folder and see for yourself how big it really is. For every song that has artwork, the iPod stores 2 versions of it, uncompressed.

You're right. 262MB. That a little over 1MB per album. Seems kinda wasteful, but I've got space to spare :D

Doesn't really make sense (to me at least) to store images to be seen on such a small screen uncompressed. It's not like it's going to be a 1600x1200 wallpaper or something ;)

Anyway, thanks for the help guys!

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
You're right. 262MB. That a little over 1MB per album. Seems kinda wasteful, but I'm got space to spare :D

Doesn't really make sense (to me at least) to store images to be seen on such a small screen uncompressed. It's not like it's going to be a 1600x1200 wallpaper or something ;)

Anyway, thanks for the help guys!

true.. but like me.. i have album art bigger than 300 x 300 mandatory.. why? im just picky.. i have at least one that is... 1200 by 1280 or sumtin.. and i somehow can see the difference on the iPod screen, like no blocky picture, but idk other people dont mind...

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
true.. but like me.. i have album art bigger than 300 x 300 mandatory.. why? im just picky.. i have at least one that is... 1200 by 1280 or sumtin.. and i somehow can see the difference on the iPod screen, like no blocky picture, but idk other people dont mind...
Doesn't matter to me b/c my iPod sits in my car 24-7-365. The only time I look at the screen is to change albums/artists etc.

I see no reason to stare at the screen :p

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
Doesn't matter to me b/c my iPod sits in my car 24-7-365. The only time I look at the screen is to change albums/artists etc.

I see no reason to stare at the screen :p

lol, if thats your case, your better of disabling album artwork and putting more tunes in.. lol

yea i say that in my case cuz most of the time i look @ my screen... @ school.. ignoring my teachers... lol

MrBars

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2007
??

hi every1! i got a 30gb ipod video.. I've loaded 21 gb mp3 to my ipod but it shows 24 gb? what are the 3gb other files? How can i delete them?

pujols17

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2008
Help

My ipod got erased because i accidentally disconnected it before they said ok
so now if you look at the preferences page it says that there is 11.37 gb of memory in the other category
is there any way of checking what is in the other category because maybe the songs are in there, since before they were erased there was 11.37 gb of memory in the audio category
PLease help!
click on the picture to see enlarged version

Attachments

• ipod.jpg
    ipod.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 2,953

confusedbymacs

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2008
so i have an old ipod nano (4gb) and i seem to have 2.4 gb of "other" on my ipod, but i have the album artwork turned off, and i have no games or pictures or contacts or anything! i can't figure out how to make the "other" go away... or how to figure out what is making the "other"

how do you get to "terminal" so i can use that code?

sry im rly bad with computers... :(

IpodOwnsAll

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008

my other is 4.48 GB!! how the heck do i get rid of it?? btw i dont have album atrwork on my ipod.=-)

IpodOwnsAll

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008
Help!!

:mad:how da heck do i get rid of 4.48 gb of "other" and i dont even have album artwork on my ipod!?!? more than 50% of my ipods space is taken up with "other"!!!!!:mad:

thecrunge8

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
other space

I'm having the same problem as iPodOwnsall! I currently have 3.23 GB of "other space" on my 30 GB iPod that I didn't used to have. I just got a new computer and transfered my old library, so I'm thinking some old files got put on there in the transfer. I came across this message that might help :

Your "Other" normally should be in the Megabyte range if you don't have other files and stuff on the disk drive portion of the iPod. So likely it has been filled with garbage.

Simply use the Restore button in iTunes when the iPod is plugged in. This will clear out the iPod, put it back to factory default conditions and then you can resync your library back onto it. Should clear up the "Other" and give you many gigs of additional space on the iPod.

Note: make sure anything on the iPod not already backed up on your computer or else where gets backed up before you do a restore.

***Okay, I'm a little weary to hit the restore button and erase everything! Does anyone know how you "back up" all your stuff? That last sentence was confusing but I'm guessing if you correctly back up, after you hit restore you can then resync everything back? So then how would you do that? :confused: Plus, how can the library put your songs back in the iPod if they're no longer in the computer? I had to delete them out months ago because they were taking up all my computer's space, but of course they're still "in" the library & iPod.

TaranQ

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2008
Same prob here. 16GB ipod touch and 5,16Gb others????
No specials installed, just some youtube vids (appr. 200MB)

Attachments

• IpodTouch.jpg
    IpodTouch.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 932

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
If you have the problem of having huge amounts of 'Other', the best thing to do would be to just restore the iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.