Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
I am desperate to find a way to secure data on a USB key drive.

Is there any utility that will password lock the drive or files?

Is there anything that will encrypt the files but allow me to work on them from my Mac? (a la File Vault)

Anything that is dual platform? (Using 10.4.8 and sometimes XP, though the latter is optional)

Any other solutions you can think of that would be simple to implement and use?

Help! I can't believe that so many of us carry around files on our keychains and that should we lose them, or files are all easy to read. The program that I am using has no security save options like MS Word.

Cheers!

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
You can create an encrypted disk image the just a bit smaller than your drive so it fits on and store all your files in that.

However this will not work in windows (so it is not the most helpful of answers.)

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
You can create an encrypted disk image the just a bit smaller than your drive so it fits on and store all your files in that.

However this will not work in windows (so it is not the most helpful of answers.)

How do I create a disk image? Will Mac apps be able to use it transparently once I have entered a password or something?

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Does it have to be Mac formatted? It doesn't seem to be encrypted (despite selecting 128 and entering and confirming a password, although the keychain may be handling it).

Thanks for your help!

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
WHen you first entered the password there is a checkbox that says something like save passowrd in keychain, i think it may be selected by default so it is probably keychain coming into play.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Once again fantastic help from all here in this excellent community. Even though I have only been using a Mac since January, I often forget that I am a newbie. That's thanks to all of you people here, so thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.