Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manosaurus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Do you prefer, for clicking and dragging, to use the trackpad button or the option for tapping on the trackpad?

I have tried both and I think that I prefer to use the track pad button.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
I've never understood people who like tapping on the trackpad. Some of my friends had that on in Windows on their laptops and it'd always mess me up. Give me a physical button any day—that's why I like the click wheel on the iPod better than the touch buttons on my 3rd gen. ;)

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
i find clicking on the trackpad unbearable. To each his own, i guess... but there's a real button 2 cm away! You can just click that!

bradbowl

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2005
Honolulu, Hawaii
I always tap the trackpad instead of clicking. It's less work than having to move a finger all the way over to a big button and push it down.

I also use the two finger scroll feature all the time.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
No tap. Tapping is counter-intuitive. There's no feedback like there is from a button. But I won't be using the trackpad much longer as I just order a wireless mouse for my iBook.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Tapping the trackpad for click/double click works best for me. The button's nice but its simpler to me to just tap the spot where I've just moved my finger to.

5150 Joker

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Davis, California
I can't use a trackpad without tapping. Its far more ergonomical to be able to tap and double tap a trackpad then have to shift you finger around and hit a button.

DougBTX

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2005
Tracking, tapping, dragging and scrolling for me, hardly use the button.

You don't keep your thumb on the button?

Have never tried that, my thumb is normally a couple of cm further down. I guess it would make right clicking harder if you're used to the double finger tap, not sure it's for me.

Douglas

andrew050703

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
Portsmouth, U.K
Have never tried that, my thumb is normally a couple of cm further down. I guess it would make right clicking harder if you're used to the double finger tap, not sure it's for me.
Douglas

button is easier for me - especially, as you say, for right clicking. if apple can make a click sensitive mighty mouse, it'd be nice to see a right click on the right hand side of the button as well...;)

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Cannot stand tapping. Drives me completely insane, always "clicking" without meaning to when I just want to move my finger a bit... :mad:
Tap, tap, tap. It takes some getting used to, but I've found it IS intuitive and there are Preference Settings to adjust it.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 642

zac4mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
near Boulder, CO. USA
I set that same option...

tap, dbl tap, 2 finger scroll and 2 finger right clik. Physical button for drag, 2 finger right clik. Or I use a cordless 3 button travel mouse.

Z

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
If I need to click I just push the button. If i have it set to where I can tap it just annoys me... I could get used to it but with the no "real" right click feature it just bugs me.

I click to click
two fingers scroll and right click
click to drag

always bugs my friends with windows labtops though.

mick4394

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Flyover country
I use my trackpad for everything. Clicking, dragging, scrolling, you name it, I use the trackpad for it. Hell, if I'm feeling a little crazy, I may even use it to do a little highlighting.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
i use the trackpad for single clicks, scrolling, and right-clicks. i also use the button to click occasionally. when dragging and dropping, i always use the button (click and hold), never the trackpad - i think i just like the tactile feel to be sure i'm dropping something exactly where i want it to be...

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2005
I use my trackpad for tracking and vertical scrolling. I HATE "tap to click" trackpads, and the horizontal scrolling always messes me up for some reason. I do LOVE the two finger scroll thing, whenever i'm on anyone elses laptop, it always screws me up. I try to scroll, and wonder why their computer is broken :)

As for clicking, give me a physical action ANY day!

iñaki'sonMac'87

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Barcelona
:rolleyes: Love the scroll capability, and even though I did use tap for dobleclick, I guess is better for care the pad, to use the big button below, and to drag things

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
There's another thread about this here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/184346/

I always tap; it's the first thing I changed when I got this PB. Had to click through the start up and it drove me crazy.

Don't you find your hand is a bit scrunched up if you keep your thumb on the button while using the track pad?

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I use my trackpad for two fingered secondary click, scrolling and moving the arrow around. That's it, nothing out of the ordinary.

TallShaffer

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2006
I use the trackpad for scrolling (best feature ever), tracking and right click. Button for anything else.

As for fingers being 'scrunched' while using the button, I use my middle finger to track, drop my ring when I scroll. My thumb/index finger (I change it randomly) is over the button :)

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I'm a happy tapper, in fact clicking annoys me so much i connect an external mouse instead to the notebook if i find myself clicking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.