Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I've been pondering this and trying it out on my iBook for a while now and still can't get used to tapping the trackpad to click. It seems so odd. I try it, hate it, turn it off, and then go back and turn it on to try it again. As much as it makes sense to do it, it doesn't feel right.

So do any of you tap your pad?

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Warbrain said:
I've been pondering this and trying it out on my iBook for a while now and still can't get used to tapping the trackpad to click. It seems so odd. I try it, hate it, turn it off, and then go back and turn it on to try it again. As much as it makes sense to do it, it doesn't feel right.

So do any of you tap your pad?

I had it on for a while but it becomes annoying to use. It just seems to get in the way. All of my friends try to tap it when they use my iBook but then they have to click. I wish the freaking trackpad mouse button wouldn't click so damn loud! It's annoying!

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i do... :eek:
it works for me... i guess it takes sometime to get used to it but then again i use the track pad when edit photos in PS and using it final cut :eek:

Sogo

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2004
Hmm...I'm somewhat of a mixed bag. Back when i used my dads windows laptop, i would tap the trackpad. But then when i got my powerbook, i naturally just used the click button. But then i ran into the second button issue, and then used sidetrack to set the top left corner of the trackpad as a right click. So i am use to just clicking, but its also not a pain for me to just tap the corner if i want my right click.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I tap. I hate the noise of the button. Plus I can surf in meetings without making a sound. ;)

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
On my Windows laptop and my younger brother's iBook I always tap. I, too, dislike the noise of the buttons. My brother always uses the button so he gets annoyed when I change the settings. :D

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I'm a major tapper. I couldn't live without it - I hate using a trackpad that hasn't been set to tap. The other thing which I love is two-fingered scrolling. When ever I use someone else's laptop I get frustrated because it doesn't have it.

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
I too am a tapper, now I just need a MacBook on the receiving end. I don't find the tapping annoying, but sometimes my coworkers do..?

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
in the 4 months i've owned my powerbook, i think i've used the button maybe a dozen times, and that was to setup everything, open system preferences, and enable tapping. :p

contrary to others in this thread, i find using the button unnatural and awkward.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
i dont on my PB, but whenever i use a windows laptop i just naturally revert to tapping!

i have tried it on my PB and its just wrong!

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I tap. And I love scrolling.

Even though I have a mouse connected, when I'm typing I find that I move the cursor with the trackpad and tap, and it is faster than having to switch my hands from the keyboard to the mouse. All in all, tapping is not a problem for me.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Yea, I turn it on to tap when I'm in class and I don't want to interupt anyone. And when we're watching films in class.

It just doesn't seem right for me, but I know it makes sense to have it. Your fingers are already on the trackpad, why stop to click the button.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
I had never used the tap function before but after reading this thread I'm gonna try it out.

It also helps that I've somehow gotten a sand like substance below the button and the noise is so grating. ;)

ScottB

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2005
Britain
Whenever using a laptop on a desk I use the button, but if I'm lying on a bed or other soft surface I'm usually using just one hand and it feels more comfortable tapping.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
GimmeSlack12 said:
I tap. And I love scrolling.

Even though I have a mouse connected, when I'm typing I find that I move the cursor with the trackpad and tap, and it is faster than having to switch my hands from the keyboard to the mouse. All in all, tapping is not a problem for me.

I have tapping off, but I just turned it on to give it a try. On some trackpads it's good, on some it just stinks...always clicking when you don't want it to and stuff...I'll see how it is on here.

I do the same thing, I had my mighty mouse connected, but I never use it since it's easier to use the trackpad when I'm typing.

Oh, and I'm weird, like 75% of the time, I use the trackpad with my 2 thumbs. I use the right one to move around and left one to click...both of them to scroll...talk about not having to move your hands from the keyboard! :D

L

Lau

I've never really tried it for very long, but I tend to keep my left hand hovering over the keyboard for shortcuts, and my right hand with my index finger scrolling and my thumb resting on the trackpad button anyway. So I've never found 'tap' that useful, because I don't have to move my hand to click anyway. :)

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Lau said:
I've never really tried it for very long, but I tend to keep my left hand hovering over the keyboard for shortcuts, and my right hand with my index finger scrolling and my thumb resting on the trackpad button anyway. So I've never found 'tap' that useful, because I don't have to move my hand to click anyway. :)

Funny thing is, I was just holding that same position while reading your post.

Yea, I don't really like tapping the touchpad for a click. I've accidently clicked way too many things, even with the computer ignoring accidental movements. So I'm sticking to clicking with the button. It's there for a reason, why not use it?

Oh, and for those quiet moments when I want to tap, how do I drag and drag lock? I've tried to do it so many times, but I can never manage to work it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.