Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohalexis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
Hi guys,

I bought a MS Wireless Laser 8000 Bluetooth mouse today to use with my iMac. I tried to use the "bluetooth setup assistant" to pair it, but it doesn't work. Has anyone else tried using this mouse with your Mac?

PS: I have a bluetooth logitech headset which works perfectly with my iMac,so my bluetooth unit is definately working.

Thanks

ohalexis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
the mouse may have some bt pairing instructions
i hope you checked already

hmm...it doesn't even come with an instruction booklet..just some very simple connection diagrams. :mad:

But anyway, I pressed the connect button underneath the mouse and then the indicator light flashes red and green, which I think is in pairing stage. And the Mac "bluetooth assistant" can discover the mouse just fine, but failed when trying to pair it.

TripleC

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2006
I have the exact same problem when trying to pair this mouse with my macbook. The macbook recognizes the hardware ID, but when it attempts to pair with an empty pass key, it fails.

This mouse is supposed to work with OSX so I know that it is meant to be compatible with Macs. Also, I know that my own BT settings are ok, because I tried this computer out with a friend's microsoft BT mouse (older model) and it worked just fine.

This is the second mouse I have tried because I thought the first one was defective. Turns out that isn't the case.

Please Help!

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
why are you guys not using the included dongle like me?

MS actually says the device works best with it.

also once you do get connected then the fun really begins, I have installed the included Intellisense 6.1 Mac OS Drivers several times now, and in the about Box of the Installed driver, it keeps telling me there is no Microsoft Mouse Connected, even though Im using it!

So until M$ address this issue I have paid alot of money for an attractive looking BT mouse that is only functioning in basic mode

TripleC

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2006

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but the whole reason I wanted a BT mouse was to NOT have to deal with a dongle.

what is going on with the MS-Mac communication? UGH!

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
Not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but the whole reason I wanted a BT mouse was to NOT have to deal with a dongle.

what is going on with the MS-Mac communication? UGH!

Lets just hope MS fixes these faults soon as I have used it in xp and its sweeeeeeeeeeet.

And you have to admit it really is a beauty to look at

ohalexis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
I have since return it, I may consider buying one again if they fix this problem.

I tried plug the included dongle in, and it connects the mouse in about 2 seconds. After that, it functions just as a normal mouse would. But the key point I am buying this one is because I thought I could just use the Mac built-in bluetooth module and if it failed this purpose, I just can't justify keeping it.

Oh, BTW, the mouse sometimes lags when you stop moving for a sec, and then moves again. Very annoying indeed. But I have experienced similar problems with any other mouse except the MM on the OS X, so I thought it might have something to do with OS X. (PS: I have USBOverdrive installed, doesn't help much either)

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
I have since return it, I may consider buying one again if they fix this problem.

I tried plug the included dongle in, and it connects the mouse in about 2 seconds. After that, it functions just as a normal mouse would. But the key point I am buying this one is because I thought I could just use the Mac built-in bluetooth module and if it failed this purpose, I just can't justify keeping it.

Oh, BTW, the mouse sometimes lags when you stop moving for a sec, and then moves again. Very annoying indeed. But I have experienced similar problems with any other mouse except the MM on the OS X, so I thought it might have something to do with OS X. (PS: I have USBOverdrive installed, doesn't help much either)

there might be a good reason for that, you didnt install the mac drivers and get it to see it did you?

in xp once you install the driver there is a slider for battery life->Blue tooth performance, it also maybe a battery saving function of the mouse that u can turn off as I dont notice any lag in XP, but then I have the driver cranked upto performance, in MAC os X it doesnt give you that option simply because it doesnt see the mouse

cyberdork33

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2006
MS says this mouse is not compatible with mac. (at least not at the moment). The mouse will fail if you use an "empty passkey". This mouse wants you to use "no passkey". You can select this option if you search for "any device", and it will connect, but then immediately disconnect.

It does connect and associate with the internal bluetooth module under windows, so it should be possible to connect in OSX

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
MS says this mouse is not compatible with mac. (at least not at the moment). The mouse will fail if you use an "empty passkey". This mouse wants you to use "no passkey". You can select this option if you search for "any device", and it will connect, but then immediately disconnect.

It does connect and associate with the internal bluetooth module under windows, so it should be possible to connect in OSX

This is very poor by MS, on their site, the product pages clearly mentions certain functions on the MAC, this is obviously a lie.:mad:

azmacman

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2006
Get a Logitech S530 wireless keyboard and laser mouse combo. They are super products. I was always having to pair my Apple wireless mouse and keyboard before, and the keyboard developed a couple of bad keys but never got wet or anything. Apple replaced it, and I just left it in the box since I prefer this keyboard. You do need to use the included USB dongle with this Logitech combo. But it is worth it to no longer have pairing problems and to have so many more nice features on both the keyboard and the mouse.

The mouse is super smooth, never skips or stutters, and has up/dwn/mute volume and browser fwd/back buttons within easy reach. I don't know why more Apple owners don't know about this product. I like them so much, I wish I could get the same combo for my PC. I am using MS 6000 wireless keyboard and laser mouse on it - but they are not nearly as good and often give me bogus low signal or low battery messages. The Logictech keyboard matches my intel iMac 20" very nicely, and the mouse wheel has full vertical and horizontal scrolling.

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
Get a Logitech S530 wireless keyboard and laser mouse combo. They are super products. I was always having to pair my Apple wireless mouse and keyboard before, and the keyboard developed a couple of bad keys but never got wet or anything. Apple replaced it, and I just left it in the box since I prefer this keyboard. You do need to use the included USB dongle with this Logitech combo. But it is worth it to no longer have pairing problems and to have so many more nice features on both the keyboard and the mouse.

The mouse is super smooth, never skips or stutters, and has up/dwn/mute volume and browser fwd/back buttons within easy reach. I don't know why more Apple owners don't know about this product. I like them so much, I wish I could get the same combo for my PC. I am using MS 6000 wireless keyboard and laser mouse on it - but they are not nearly as good and often give me bogus low signal or low battery messages. The Logictech keyboard matches my intel iMac 20" very nicely, and the mouse wheel has full vertical and horizontal scrolling.

shouldnt have to, and the only logitech that fits my requirements is the DiNovo edge, bu even that doesnt have dedicated MAC drivers yet.

I am new to MAC OS and have my mini dual boot, I thought my apple had Pc's azz, but its obvious when it comes to 3rd party stuff, the PC has Apples ass.:(

azmacman

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2006
Before you decide to not try the Logictech S530, you ought to take a good look at it. I've never had one problem with it since it was connected. Which I cannot say for Apple's wireless keyboard/mouse combo. It was $99.99 at Fry's.

PS. If you could get the MS BT mouse to work, it would probably give you bogus low bat or or signal errors like mine does on my PC.

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
Before you decide to not try the Logictech S530, you ought to take a good look at it. I've never had one problem with it since it was connected. Which I cannot say for Apple's wireless keyboard/mouse combo. It was $99.99 at Fry's.

PS. If you could get the MS BT mouse to work, it would probably give you bogus low bat or or signal errors like mine does on my PC.

rubbish i works fantastic on the PC, 2ndly the s530 is white, 3rdly I bt yo use ours on a desk and not in your hands, I need a multimedia keyboard like the new edge orMS desktop 8000, it amazes me after jobs conference in september going on about iTV and movies and stuff that apple dont have any HTPC keyboard in the works

alchemist4ever

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2006
Solution?

I seem to have found a way to get the mac to recognize and connect with the mouse. Here are the simple steps.

Note: make sure that the option to open bluetooth mouse setup if no mouse is connected option is turned off in the bluetooth system preference

1. install the software (the version that came with my mouse was Intellipoint 6.1)

2. In the bluetooth menu in the menu bar (if it's not there then go to System Preferences -> Bluetooth and check the box that says show bluetooth in menu bar) Select browse device.

3. By holding the connect button down until the mouse's battery indicator flashes red and blue you make the mouse visible to the computer.

4. Click search in the bluetooth file exchange window that should now be open from when you selected browse device. You may not need to do this if the mouse is already showing up in the list. Mine was just called mouse.

5. Click the "Add to Favourites" button and it will be added to your favourites in the bluetooth system preference.

6. restart your computer.

7. turn off and on the mouse.

8. when your computer boots. if you click the mouse button a few times it should connect the mouse. (mine connected and was active just after the login screen came up).

Your mouse should now be connected. If you go to the devices tab in the bluetooth system preference you should be able to see the mouse, (more specifically its mac address) and there should be a key beside it showing that it is connected. As well the bluetooth menu icon will have changed to have turned grey and three horizontally placed black dots across it.

Hope this helps.
:)

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
I seem to have found a way to get the mac to recognize and connect with the mouse. Here are the simple steps.

Note: make sure that the option to open bluetooth mouse setup if no mouse is connected option is turned off in the bluetooth system preference

1. install the software (the version that came with my mouse was Intellipoint 6.1)

2. In the bluetooth menu in the menu bar (if it's not there then go to System Preferences -> Bluetooth and check the box that says show bluetooth in menu bar) Select browse device.

3. By holding the connect button down until the mouse's battery indicator flashes red and blue you make the mouse visible to the computer.

4. Click search in the bluetooth file exchange window that should now be open from when you selected browse device. You may not need to do this if the mouse is already showing up in the list. Mine was just called mouse.

5. Click the "Add to Favourites" button and it will be added to your favourites in the bluetooth system preference.

8. when your computer boots. if you click the mouse button a few times it should connect the mouse. (mine connected and was active just after the login screen came up).

Your mouse should now be connected. If you go to the devices tab in the bluetooth system preference you should be able to see the mouse, (more specifically its mac address) and there should be a key beside it showing that it is connected. As well the bluetooth menu icon will have changed to have turned grey and three horizontally placed black dots across it.

Hope this helps.

does this give u access to the advanced features?

Roba

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2006
alchemist4ever after i read your solution i decided to get this mouse i was thinking about getting it anyway but after reading posts on incompatibility i was unsure. Anyway after reading your solution i thought that i would try it.
I followed your steps and i set my mouse up with no problems.
Thanks

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
alchemist4ever after i read your solution i decided to get this mouse i was thinking about getting it anyway but after reading posts on incompatibility i was unsure. Anyway after reading your solution i thought that i would try it.
I followed your steps and i set my mouse up with no problems.
Thanks

But did you get the enhanced features of the drivers or does it just operate as a basic mouse with the left and right side buttons doing nothing?

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006

Hope this helps.

do you have to do this every time you restart your computer? there are other alternatives out there that work... seems like too much of a hassle to force this mouse to work when others require no extra configuration.

Roba

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2006
For me i did not get any of enhanced features. The mouse operates as a two buttoned Bluetooth mouse under Mac OSX. This is fine for me though but it may not be to every ones liking.

But did you get the enhanced features of the drivers or does it just operate as a basic mouse with the left and right side buttons doing nothing?

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
For me i did not get any of enhanced features. The mouse operates as a two buttoned Bluetooth mouse under Mac OSX. This is fine for me though but it may not be to every ones liking.

Well for such an expensive deluxe mouse thats a joke, and MS should hurry up with full support or people will just buy a Logitech instead

Quboid

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2006
everywhere

MS actually says the device works best with it.

also once you do get connected then the fun really begins, I have installed the included Intellisense 6.1 Mac OS Drivers several times now, and in the about Box of the Installed driver, it keeps telling me there is no Microsoft Mouse Connected, even though Im using it!

So until M$ address this issue I have paid alot of money for an attractive looking BT mouse that is only functioning in basic mode

Ever heard of Mighty Mouse?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.