Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
so I've been waiting on new ibooks for a while now. Today they come out, and I go grab up a 14" model. Now, the first real time I've gotten to use it, I notice a dead/ stuck pixel in the middle/ left of the screen. Is it true that apple will do nothing about this because a few dead pixels is "acceptable"? I've heard this, but if it's true, I'm going to be furious. I spent more than I can really afford, and have looked forward to this new computer for a long time. And it has a defect right out of the box, and my understanding is that apple will not even acknowledge this as a defect, and will do nothing to help me. Please, please tell me this isn't true, or tell me that there is some cure for a stuck pixel.

-one sad new ibook owner

p.s. returning it is out of the question since it is from an apple store where they charge a 10% restocking fee on opened computers. Which is in and of itself absurd.

acj

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
Sorry

It's not just Apple though. Most manufacturers allow a certain number of dead/stuck pixels and a certain larger number of dead/stuck sub pixels, depending on screen size.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
As much as it stinks your pretty much stuck with it. All manufacturs do this though, i belive apple will allow 8 before they replace ( i could be wrong) and i know for a fact (experiance) viewsonic allows for upto 12 per screen or 4 per square inch.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Do a search for stuck pixels and you'll find 100+ threads where people explain how you can massage a dead or stuck pixel and bring it back to life. It's a fairly simple process, and the results are usually very good.

Like I said, do a search, and before you know it your dead/stuck pixel will be glowing with life!

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
pain~

This is one major reason that I dont buy an new laptop.
Apple has a policy and I can understand why due to the manufacturing of lcd's.

There are a lot of them that have stuck pixels, and they cant all go back.

But I refuse to own one.

My Ti is screen perfect.

But i am scared to buy a ALu
unless I can find a method or place to buy where they let you use the computer before you buy it.

And Apple's policy is that you cant open the BOX, let alone boot it unless you buy it!

Buyer Beware!

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
Re: pain~

Originally posted by Grokgod

But i am scared to buy a ALu
unless I can find a method or place to buy where they let you use the computer before you buy it.

I bought my 12 inch powerbook from the computer haus in Traverse City and they were super about me seeing the computer before i bought it. Most places will, Circuit City let me see the screen on my sisters Sony before we bought it. Just go to a place, give them 200 bucks for a deposit to show that you are serious before they start opening boxes, and most anyone will let you check before you buy.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
always been afraid to check screen for dead pixels...thankfully i have none on the laptops but on a cinema i once got i got like 10+ dead pixels. apple sent me a replacement though.

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
it really works with the massage!
i made these big eyes O O when i saw this stucked pixel on my (also brand new) ibook.
first of all i thought it was a dead one. but the i learned, if there's still a colout coming out of the pixel it is a stocked one.
the massage helped for about 1 month. then it came back. a short massage and it was gone again. "funny" thing is, when i do a massage on this very place, the pixel gets again stucked. massaging it again, it disappears, etc., etc...
.a

herr_neumann

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2003
Roseville, Ca
When my girlfriend bought her iBook 800 combo it had a couple (right in the middle of the screen). So, I called the store where she bought it to make sure they had another one, and then placed it on hold. I then drove down to Palo Alto and informed the person there that I had an iBook on hold to be swapped out. I just acted like that is what I supposed to be doing and they did not think anything of it. Seemed like the guy thought I was told to do it or something (I never said I was, but I never said I wasn't).

So, it is not impossible to get it swapped out. The guy there did not even fire it up and look or anything...

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
wow, thanks for all the sympathy and advice. Maybe this isn't so bad. I'll definitely try that "massage." And herr, that's pretty clever- and devious!- of you. Nice work!

My pixel does seem to be stuck and not dead, as it is glowing a light green. This gives me lots of new hope! I love my new baby, but this pixel is pretty centrally located, and it would suck to have to live with it. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
From what I have heard if you complain POLITELY enough they will often replace it even though it is technically not covered.

Restocking fees are a norm and are necessary both. You have to be able to pay the employee to inspect and repackage the products that are returned.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
yeah, my iBook has a stuck pixel. has had it since i got it. there was nothing i could do. but, it doesnt really matter. i rarely notice it. being that yours is a 14" tho, it may be a bigger spot. :-/

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by QCassidy352
wow, thanks for all the sympathy and advice. Maybe this isn't so bad. I'll definitely try that "massage." And herr, that's pretty clever- and devious!- of you. Nice work!

My pixel does seem to be stuck and not dead, as it is glowing a light green. This gives me lots of new hope! I love my new baby, but this pixel is pretty centrally located, and it would suck to have to live with it. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Yeah, even without massaging pixels can get unstuck. I bought a Cornea 17" LCD monitor that had a stuck pixel. After a while it just went away. I didn't even notice when it fixed itself, since after a few days I wasn't even noticing the pixel anymore.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
THANK YOU

holy ****, I can't believe that worked. 1. Wash hands. 2. Hold back of screen where stuck pixel is. 3. *gently* rub screen with soft cloth that will not scratch screen. 4. Enjoy my beautiful, wonderful, new ibook that has no dead or stuck pixels.

OMG, that was so easy, and so effective. I'm thrilled. Thank you guys so much!!!!!

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
and this whole ridiculous dead pixel bullpoop shows that people don't do research before buying.

if they did... they'd know there is a margin of error.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
congrats, this goes to show you how great of a mac community we are, we make the world a better place :)

iJon

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Originally posted by Moxiemike
and this whole ridiculous dead pixel bullpoop shows that people don't do research before buying.

if they did... they'd know there is a margin of error.

That's just not true. I knew that some lcds have dead pixels, and for that reason I asked the apple reps in the store to let me see the display before I bought it, which they said they could not do.

And just because there is a margin of error doesn't mean that I have to like it. Dead/ stuck pixels are a *defect.* I understand that it happens and that to eliminate it would send the prices through the roof, but let's not act like dead/ stuck pixels are supposed to be there. Just because a certain number of defects per product is considered "acceptable" doesn't mean I have to be glad the defects are there, or that I can't wish that I gotten one of the many units that had no defect.

But whatever, I don't care now. The point is that it was a stunningly simple problem to fix, and I am very grateful to the people here for their support and advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.