Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
UK
Is it possible to recharge an iPod on a computer that doesn't have iTunes installed and say running Windows ME? Particularly the shuffle/Nano?

Doesn't it automatically start to recharge when its connected via USB?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Is it possible to recharge an iPod on a computer that doesn't have iTunes installed and say running Windows ME? Particularly the shuffle/Nano?

Doesn't it automatically start to recharge when its connected via USB?

If the port is powered then yeah it should but, and I'm just brain-storming here so I'm probably wrong but, maybe if the computer doesn't recognise the device (ME wouldn't) it could cut the power to the port. I'll reiterate, I don't know if what I've just said is true, it's just me thinking out loud.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
If the port is powered then yeah it should but, and I'm just brain-storming here so I'm probably wrong but, maybe if the computer doesn't recognise the device (ME wouldn't) it could cut the power to the port. I'll reiterate, I don't know if what I've just said is true, it's just me thinking out loud.

That would make some sense, especially if it's formatted for Mac. If it isn't, then a PC should be able to at least recognize it as a HDD.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Yes - I have done this with a shuffle. Let it charge on my work PC for the gym. It just sees it as another drive.

That's because the shuffle is formatted to be read on both a Mac and a PC. But if the OP formatted his iPod to be Mac-only, the PC will not recognize the device. I've done this with a shuffle before, too, but the shuffle is a different creature than the full-size iPod.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
That's because the shuffle is formatted to be read on both a Mac and a PC. But if the OP formatted his iPod to be Mac-only, the PC will not recognize the device.
Correct, but it will still charge it even if it's formatted only for Mac but plugged into a Windows box.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
UK
Well I would have assumed a Win ME PC would recognise a shuffle as a "Removable Drive" - like a flash memory drive? I have a USB2 flash drive that works fine on the Win ME PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.