Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
I got my photos currently in both the Aperture Library and iPhoto Library folder. I want them all gone from Aperture 1.5.1, without changing anything in iPhoto. How?

Thanks in advance.

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
Is Aperture referencing them or do you physically have two copies of each image, if the latter applies them you can just delete the Aperture library or use the relocate and consolidate command to move them.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
Is Aperture referencing them or do you physically have two copies of each image, if the latter applies them you can just delete the Aperture library or use the relocate and consolidate command to move them.

It says in Finder that the Aperture library is 1.2 GB and the iPhoto is 700 MB. The iPhoto folder has always been that size. Would it be easier to just reinstall Aperture?

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
The DVD is the same thing as the tutorials on the apple homepage. And you have the book as a pdf, see Aperture Help.

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
What do you want to accomplish? The Aperture Library is probably larger because of the preview images.

BTW you can access the aperture library from within all of the iLife Apps, including iPhoto; so why not trash the iPhoto Library then.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
Can someone tell me what page?:D

I just want all images away from Aperture, without changing anything in iPhoto.

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
Sorry I have the german version installed, just do a search.

Here do this:

Delete the aperture library.

then within aperture go to import iPhoto archive, in the import dialog box select save file in current location

That will leave the orginal files within iPhoto and you can use them in Aperture

Attachments

• Unbenannt-1.jpg
    Unbenannt-1.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 96

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
Allright, so I delete the white box Library file in Finder, and then skip your other steps, since I don't wanna access these photos via Aperture. They are family photos, and my mom says I'm not allowed to change any of them, only remove red eyes, which iPhoto is great for. Aperture is for my own nature/friend pics.

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
You do know that Aperture will never let you alter the originial image! So even if you make the most radical changes you can always go back to original.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
You do know that Aperture will never let you alter the originial image! So even if you make the most radical changes you can always go back to original.

I know, same with iPhoto. But the problem is, that 60 GB is very limiting, and since I won't make any use of the 1.25 GB in my Aperture library, I want it gone. So, can I simply delete the Aperture library file in Finder, or will it screw up the program?

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
No, if you dont want the pictures in aperture then deleting the library will not screw up the program. The next time you start Aperture it will just create a new and empty library in the location you told it to (the pictures folder by default).

But again, you can reference your iPhoto library form within Aperture without taking up more memory (well a little but insignificant amount more).

BTW why use iPhoto at all when you have aperture?

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
No, if you dont want the pictures in aperture then deleting the library will not screw up the program. The next time you start Aperture it will just create a new and empty library in the location you told it to (the pictures folder by default).

But again, you can reference your iPhoto library form within Aperture without taking up more memory (well a little but insignificant amount more).

BTW why use iPhoto at all when you have aperture?

Because the photos take up more space in Aperture, and I want the simplicity of iPhoto for family pictures. Aperture only for my own "pro" pics. But thanks.:)

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
The photos take up more space in aperture because you probably have the creat preview command turned on. If you turn it off, tell be about the same.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
The photos take up more space in aperture because you probably have the creat preview command turned on. If you turn it off, tell be about the same.

Never mind, my problem is solved, everything is as I want it, and I'm ready to shoot some trees with my Canon :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.