Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akadmon

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
New England
I'm running W2K Pro on a trial version of Parallels. The only option under screen resolution in Windows is 800x600. How can I get Parallels to include other resolutions supported by the video card/monitor? BTW, I have a Mac Pro with Nvidia 7300.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
I'm running W2K Pro on a trial version of Parallels. The only option under screen resolution in Windows is 800x600. How can I get Parallels to include other resolutions supported by the video card/monitor? BTW, I have a Mac Pro with Nvidia 7300.

Under the prefereces you can add custom screen resolutions. Try that out.

akadmon

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Under the prefereces you can add custom screen resolutions. Try that out.

I did that, but the highest resolution that shows up in windows is still 800x600 with 16 colors. Yikes!

I notice that the video adapter is listed as VGA, which explains the low res and color depth. But why?

akadmon

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Did you select that you were installing Windows when you first installed it?

No. This is Windows 2000. I don't believe that option comes up during installation.

Will this problem be solve if I install a video driver for the Nvidia 7300 while I'm in Windows? Where can I find it?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Windows 2000 is definitely a supported OS, but if you didn't tell Parallels that you were installing Windows then it may not give you the Tools (I'm just guessing here).

You can't use a 7300 driver in Parallels.

Edit: I tested it without selecting Windows, and it does indeed grey out the option for installing the Tools.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 158

akadmon

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Windows 2000 is definitely a supported OS, but if you didn't tell Parallels that you were installing Windows then it may not give you the Tools (I'm just guessing here).

You can't use a 7300 driver in Parallels.

I guess I'll try reinstalling Paralles and starting over from scratch.

Another question. Can I install the same copy of Windows via Bootcamp and Parallels, or will Windows activation not allow me to maintain to separate instances of the same install?

akadmon

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
New England
You should be able to change the assigned OS by clicking the Edit button before starting your VM.

So the answer is yes, I can install the same copy of Windows XP on two different machines (the VM is after all a different machine)?

I thought this was not allowed under the Microsoft Windows XP EULA.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
So the answer is yes, I can install the same copy of Windows XP on two different machines (the VM is after all a different machine)?

Presuming you have the same XP license in Boot Camp, it is the same physical machine and there have been various reports of success in telling MS that it's the same machine, just virtualized, when talking to them on the phone.

FWIW I have 2K and Vista RC2 in my Parallels.

B

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand

Hold on, where did XP come from? You said you were running 2000. All I want you to do is go into the options in Parallels and ensure that you have Windows 2000 selected as the guest OS.

akadmon

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Working OK now

I reinstalled Parallels and loaded W2K. This time the option of installing Parallels Tools was active (no idea why it wasn't before). Working fine now.

[cue in the MPFC intro music] And now for something completely different... Is there a way to eject a CD from a Mac Pro during Windows install in Boot Camp? Since I only have an upgrade version of Win XP (which I dutifully slipstreamed with SP2 -- what a pain that was!), I have to swap CDs to show Bill Gates that I do have a previous version of Windows, just not on the computer.

seanf

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
UK
Is there a way to eject a CD from a Mac Pro during Windows install in Boot Camp?
Take the side of your Mac Pro case off and carefully pull out the optical bay (top left) and rest it on something (an upside down bin worked great for me!). You can then use the eject button on the drive when you need to put your other CD in.

Sean :)

akadmon

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Take the side of your Mac Pro case off and carefully pull out the optical bay (top left) and rest it on something (an upside down bin worked great for me!). You can then use the eject button on the drive when you need to put your other CD in.

Sean :)

Stop it, you're scaring me!:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.