Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:52 PM   #1
macgfxdesigner
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
MC Photography Logo Critique



I am in need of a logo for my photography show and small biz doing on the side. I threw this together last week, just wanted some opinions on the overall feel of the design. Thank you for your help

MC

P.S. Link to my photography site slideshow HERE

Also you can critique some my work too if you would like
macgfxdesigner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 02:32 PM   #2
LeviG
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Norfolk, UK
I like the first one, just enough colour to bring it off the page and get interest.

The second one looks like someones Ive seen before but cant think where, and the third one is a bit bland being so "grey" (and black which is a shade of grey - or is it the other way round - you get the idea)
LeviG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 03:20 PM   #3
Mr_Brightside_@
macrumors 65816
 
Mr_Brightside_@'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: below Ash Tree Lane
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviG View Post
I like the first one, just enough colour to bring it off the page and get interest.

The second one looks like someones Ive seen before but cant think where, and the third one is a bit bland being so "grey" (and black which is a shade of grey - or is it the other way round - you get the idea)
I prefer the third actually, I find the grey accents the picture.

Do you mind my asking, what city you are based in?
__________________
All over the ship, dancing through the wreckage of the Pfhor computer core, DURANDAL WAS LAUGHING
Here is the toil of that house, and the inextricable wandering
Mr_Brightside_@ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 03:36 PM   #4
Rickay726
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Rickay726
i really like the middle one just because you would be able to read it clearly when posted on any background.
__________________
Tell it to my Canon.
Rickay726 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 04:33 PM   #5
LeviG
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Norfolk, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Brightside_@ View Post
I prefer the third actually, I find the grey accents the picture.

Do you mind my asking, what city you are based in?
No, you mean me or the op, if its me I'm in a little village near king's lynn which half way between norwich and peterborough
LeviG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 04:35 PM   #6
LeviG
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Norfolk, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickay726 View Post
i really like the middle one just because you would be able to read it clearly when posted on any background.
actually thats a good point.

To the OP - what was the intended purpose for the logo(s) because as said by Rickay726 and on second thoughts the middle one would be good for a watermark logo
LeviG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 04:50 PM   #7
tech4all
macrumors 68030
 
tech4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NorCal
First off, nice photography, macgfxdesigner.

Regarding the logo. Overall I think they're all quite nice.

Logo 1 (starting from the left):

+ I like the touch of color. It's something you can carry on to the rest of the site as a design element.

- For some reason the bottom right of the "M", "clark", and "Photography" draws attention away from the rest of the logo. I think this is caused by the overlapping of the "M" and "clark", and "photography" adds to it and you have to colors (black and orange) and the black seems to be over powered by the orange. At a smaller size it may make "clark" slightly hard to read. And you can't make the "M" black because that will blend with "clark" But that's me.

Logo 2:

+ This would work very well when shrunk down because the entire logo is black and doesn't have any overlaps.

- Can't think of anything I don't like about it right now.

Logo 3:

+ I do like the "M", nice and solid.
+ I do like how you made "mathewclark" one word but screened back "clark" to make separate them. Nice touch. (also with logo 1)

- Can't think of anything I don't like about it right now.


Anyways that's just a quick critique for you. If you have any revisions, post them!
__________________
I use OS X because of Windows. And I use Android because of iOS.
tech4all is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 06:48 PM   #8
wheezy
macrumors 65816
 
wheezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alpine, UT
Right off the third was my favorite, I'm a fan of black/gray mixing though, it adds a nice seperation on your name. Now I'll go check out your pictures (forums are a great way to get hits ya know...)
__________________
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 i7, 16GB, OWC 120GB SSD+750GB HDD * iPhone 4S 16GB White
Canon 7D * 17-40 F4L, 135 F2L, 50 1.4 USM * PCB Einstein
personal / 500px / web design
wheezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 06:53 PM   #9
wheezy
macrumors 65816
 
wheezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alpine, UT
Definately impressive, very very impressive. The bokeh your lenses give is awesome, has a nice Canon L flavor to it methinks.... what are you shooting with?
__________________
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 i7, 16GB, OWC 120GB SSD+750GB HDD * iPhone 4S 16GB White
Canon 7D * 17-40 F4L, 135 F2L, 50 1.4 USM * PCB Einstein
personal / 500px / web design
wheezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 07:15 PM   #10
iGary
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Randy's House
#2
iGary is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 04:41 AM   #11
macgfxdesigner
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Thank you for all the wonderful comments!!

I am going to be working on some revisions this week, (during the holiday break)

About where I am based out of, I live in north atlanta off 400.

Purpose for logo is to brand myself on a brochure I am making for the upcoming and show and for biz cards and for little logo sticker going to put on the outside of the plastic envelope some of the smaller pictures will be in for the show.

Equipment used:

Canon 30d
100mm Macro 2.8
16-35mm 2.8 L
28-200mm 3.6-5.6
Velbon Carbon Fiber Tripod
Bogen Manfrotto Monopod
4GB Extreme III CF x 2
Tamrac Pro 6 Bag
macgfxdesigner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 06:56 AM   #12
Mr_Brightside_@
macrumors 65816
 
Mr_Brightside_@'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: below Ash Tree Lane
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgfxdesigner View Post

About where I am based out of, I live in north atlanta off 400.
Cool sorry, I only asked because I know another Matt Clark who too takes pictures. Coincidence. Cheers and good job mate.
__________________
All over the ship, dancing through the wreckage of the Pfhor computer core, DURANDAL WAS LAUGHING
Here is the toil of that house, and the inextricable wandering
Mr_Brightside_@ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 01:51 PM   #13
stevep
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
All three have their merits. I think that if a logo works in greyscale then it can't be far off the mark. I prefer the layout of the type in no 2, but I'm not so keen on the 'white-on-black'. Also the typeface lacks the precise alignment that I personally would want.
People have very strong views on typefaces and one designers 'top ten' will rarely be anothers (except that Comic Sans will not appear in the top ten list of any sane person....). I offer the attached merely as food for thought - it's not meant in any way to be better, just a bit different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mc.png
Views:	3
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	62514  
stevep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:29 PM   #14
vectormasked
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Somewhere in Canada
Definitely #2 or #3, but #2 kicks #3's ass.

And damn! please fix the "M". the edges look really bad. those vector are just really bad.
__________________
Home: Macbook Pro C2D , Toshiba Satellite 1955-s803 "RIP" and HP workstation xw4100
Work: iMac 20"
vectormasked is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:03 AM   #15
tech4all
macrumors 68030
 
tech4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NorCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectormasked View Post
And damn! please fix the "M". the edges look really bad. those vector are just really bad.
Are you talking about that "wavingness" in the "M"? I could see that, but that could be the look macgfxdesigner intended. It gives that painterly look.
__________________
I use OS X because of Windows. And I use Android because of iOS.
tech4all is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 01:45 AM   #16
vectormasked
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Somewhere in Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech4all View Post
Are you talking about that "wavingness" in the "M"? I could see that, but that could be the look macgfxdesigner intended. It gives that painterly look.
yes that is what I am talking about.

And no, it does not gives it a painterly look. It looks as if someone had just done that M with the pen tool after one day of learning illustrator. Honestly. But I don't mean to insult or anything. It just simply looks really bad and unintentional, not to mention amateurish and unprofessional.

Again, I hope this is not too rude. I am just trying to help and telling you my honest opinion.
__________________
Home: Macbook Pro C2D , Toshiba Satellite 1955-s803 "RIP" and HP workstation xw4100
Work: iMac 20"
vectormasked is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 02:39 AM   #17
dogbone
Banned
 
dogbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: S33.687308617200465 E150.31341791152954
I think version 3 has the right look. The font is fine as is. I'd also stretch the word 'photography' out like the second version and perhaps move the M a tad to the left.
dogbone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 01:30 PM   #18
shecky
Guest
 
shecky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Obviously you're not a golfer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectormasked View Post
yes that is what I am talking about.

And no, it does not gives it a painterly look. It looks as if someone had just done that M with the pen tool after one day of learning illustrator. Honestly. But I don't mean to insult or anything. It just simply looks really bad and unintentional, not to mention amateurish and unprofessional.

Again, I hope this is not too rude. I am just trying to help and telling you my honest opinion.
i agree. the M is very badly drawn.

also the M in the box looks almost identical to another logo that i cannot for the life of me remember right now. i can see it in my head but i cannot place the name.
shecky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 01:29 AM   #19
tech4all
macrumors 68030
 
tech4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NorCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectormasked View Post
yes that is what I am talking about.

And no, it does not gives it a painterly look. It looks as if someone had just done that M with the pen tool after one day of learning illustrator. Honestly. But I don't mean to insult or anything. It just simply looks really bad and unintentional, not to mention amateurish and unprofessional.

Again, I hope this is not too rude. I am just trying to help and telling you my honest opinion.
I have to disagree. It does give it a painterly look. I can see how some may see it as that. When I first saw the logo I didn't think nothing of it. Just depends on how one sees it. I'm curious as to what the OP intended. If they wanted a painterly look, I think it looks fine. I mean yea I think it could look a little better in certain areas of the "M". If they wanted a very rigid edge, then it yea I agree it needs work, but if they wanted an organic look to it, I think they did a decent job.
__________________
I use OS X because of Windows. And I use Android because of iOS.
tech4all is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 01:42 AM   #20
vectormasked
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Somewhere in Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech4all View Post
I have to disagree. It does give it a painterly look. I can see how some may see it as that. When I first saw the logo I didn't think nothing of it. Just depends on how one sees it. I'm curious as to what the OP intended. If they wanted a painterly look, I think it looks fine. I mean yea I think it could look a little better in certain areas of the "M". If they wanted a very rigid edge, then it yea I agree it needs work, but if they wanted an organic look to it, I think they did a decent job.
I disagree completely. It does not give it a painterly look nor it has an organic feel. It looks so amateurish and unintentional.

It need tons of work, but as to the first phase which in this case is to come up with a decent simple idea....he's done good. The execution with the M is a huge problem imo.
__________________
Home: Macbook Pro C2D , Toshiba Satellite 1955-s803 "RIP" and HP workstation xw4100
Work: iMac 20"
vectormasked is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Photography Final Critique ghall Digital Photography 21 Jun 8, 2009 07:43 AM
First Club Photography session. Critique please. Ryan1524 Digital Photography 22 Feb 18, 2009 03:45 PM
Photography assigment critique Rothman Digital Photography 13 Mar 15, 2007 02:04 AM
Yet another Logo Critique :) digitalrebelxt Design and Graphics 7 May 5, 2006 07:53 AM
Logo Critique Welcome digitalrebelxt Design and Graphics 12 Apr 26, 2006 08:10 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC