Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ThinkSecret believes that Apple will start to receive Blu-ray drives from Sony in February. While the site has previously reported that Apple may also back rival format HD-DVD, this information perhaps pegs Blu-ray equipped Mac Pros early next year.

The information is tempered by the fact that ThinkSecret has not been extremely accurate in recent history. In addition, AppleInsider currently believes that the Mac Pro is due to receive an update before the end of the year, which would make an early-2007 update to the Mac Pro 3 updates in half a year, which is an unusually fast sustained-pace for pro-system upgrades.

While the possibility certainly exists that Apple could introduce Blu-ray functionality in a system other than the Mac Pro first, and indeed ThinkSecret leaves that door open by not specifying which Mac would start shipping with the drives first, most educated speculation points to Apple's pro systems being the first to benefit from the upgrade.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
Hmm....I say no - I don't like the idea of Apple jumping on either format this fast...

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I couldn't care either way. It'll be a CTO if they do indeed add them. I'd rather wait for the media wars to subside or wait for Hybrid Blu Ray/HD-DVD drives to become available at a reasonable price before I bother with this stuff. I mean the last few disks I've burned have been Boot Camp install disks! I can't remember the last time I burnt a DVD, my back of 25 still sits there unused!

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
Why not? Apple could do like they always do and have some insane combo drive out before everyone else...

How about an Ultra Drive???? It could burn/play CD's, DVD's, BRD's and HD DVD's!

Now that would be one sweet piece of machinery!

I don't see any real reason a laser couldn't be made that would read and write to both next gen medias.

sixstorm

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2006
Nashville, TN
Blu-Ray = HUGE waste of time . . . unless you are looking at JUST storage. If you are looking for movie playback, HD-DVD is the way to go.

maxp1

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2005
shortage

Isn't Sony having a supply problem with it's blue diodes? I can't imagine that they would divert any of their small supply away from manufacturing PS3s and toward a computer manufacturer who doesn't benefit them.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
This whole subject raises a certain polarization occuring in society right now. No, not democrat vs. republican, but bandwidth available vs. bandwidth starved.

If you have bandwidth, you can store your content on servers and local discs.

If not, you are relegated to CD's and DVD's and other forms of sneakerware and mail-ware.

Hughesnet has taken a big step to help remote but financially solvent folks, but the poor and remote remain screwed.

Ever tried a software update without broadband???

Rocketman

Quboid

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2006
everywhere
n't that raise the already high price of apple computers. I say there's no need and thats too fast of an upgrade for my liking.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
Mark my words: iTV will be the first Apple product to ship with blu-ray.
Damn, exactly what I was wondering. You beat me.

iTV will be great, I'm very interested in it. It has 2 pieces lacking IMO - but both of these would increase the cost significantly, and I see the value of a cheap device. Perhaps a higher end version could:
1) Play DVDs. And next year people will start looking at high definition more seriously... so why not give it to them.
2) Record TV. You need a receiver (FTA? Cable? Sat?) and hard disk though.

I guess it's possible that an iTV-Pro (bad name) could be a hybrid of MacMini + BluRay + iTV.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I guess it's possible that an iTV-Pro (bad name) could be a hybrid of MacMini + BluRay + iTV.

what do you think the price tag on that would be??? I'm guessing you're talking a solid $999 or more for that, which is the definition of a premium product. I'm not so certain how well it would do...

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Blu-Ray = HUGE waste of time . . . unless you are looking at JUST storage. If you are looking for movie playback, HD-DVD is the way to go.

Why do you say that? Blu-Ray has more space than HD-DVD. I think more people buy into HD-DVD because it has a better sounding name.

Blu-ray
25GB (single-layer)
50GB (dual-layer)

HD-DVD
15GB (single-layer)
30GB (dual-layer)

So it is not a waste of time. I take it you do not work in digital video or audio. I could easily use a Blu-ray drive. I currently have audio projects split across several DL-DVDs to back them up.

I could care less about HD-DVD or Blu-ray movies, personally. And you need a HDCP video card to playback movies.

The Mac Pros clearly have two optical drive bays. We knew this was coming. (Duh.) There is a special sata connector on the logic board that is unused and undocumented at the moment. Most think it is for the new blu-ray drives.

The one thing missing in this story is the price. The blu-ray burners are currently $700-$1000. Yee-ouch!

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
LOL that's pretty funny considering I don't even burn DL DVDs yet and they're going to start putting Blu-ray in. (that is if the rumor is true) even if it's not, it's still funny to me.

caliguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005
I like the idea of Blu-ray more. It just seems more of a Blu-ray/HD DVD and Apple/Microsoft thing. I don't know.. it sounds better I guess :).

I'm so excited for MacWorld. There's a lot to be told.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Here's to hoping they also release an update to iDVD (and DVDSP) so I'm able to burn HDV movies to Blu-ray, otherwise, I see no point of having BR drives. :)

yankeedoodle

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
And since when has price ever stopped Apple from doing something?

Apple ususally wants to rock the industry. When Apple was first to introduced the SuperDrive (DVD-R) in 2001 (Steve: "We decided to start 2001 with a bang!") it did not just put the drive into the Mac's case (like everybody else would have done), they also introduced iDVD -- a breakthrough application concerning functionality, quality and ease of use at that time.

Video-BluRay and -HD-DVD discs are not just blown-up DVDs, they also feature a whole new menu layer that supports a kind of java and offers much more functionality than the menus in a conventional DVD. That does however mean that you will need a completely new software to author BluRay (or HD-DVD) discs. And I am sure that Apple is about to come up with exactly such a software -- be it called iDVD HD (!) or iDVD Blu (!) or whatever name seems to be appropriate -- and that Apple will introduce it together with the drive. That's the Apple way (that we all love so much): not just a naked device, but a complete solution from iMovie HD (caputres HD video) to iDVD HD. (The same of course will be true for the professional software line Final Cut HD and "DVDStudio HD".)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.