Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sixstorm

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2006
Nashville, TN
Why would they need a 50GB HD-DVD if the "job is done"?

It's just for the storage freaks out there, they "need" the extra space. I could say the same thing for BR. If you could get a 1080p movie with loads of extras, why go over 30GB?

I really wish some companies could make hybrids drives; Blu-Ray for storage and HD-DVD for movies. That would make the world spin a little smoother huh? :D

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
If you could get a 1080p movie with loads of extras, why go over 30GB

Some movies will need it. Like the Lord Of The Rings ROTK Extended Edition (250 minutes). In HD-DVD, this movie will likely be on 2 discs just like the DVD version. But on Blu-Ray it will probably just be one disc. That's just an example of how over 30GB might be useful.

Personally, I have not bought into either system. Maybe summer 2007 I'll pick one and get the whole thing.

Neonguy

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2006
You people seriously waiting for Blu-Ray and invest in them? They are ways overprice. I saw a Sony one for $799, then a Pioneer one for $999. I guess you people have a lot of money to waste on this. That is almost as much as a Computer such as an iMac.

sixstorm

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2006
Nashville, TN
Some movies will need it. Like the Lord Of The Rings ROTK Extended Edition (250 minutes). In HD-DVD, this movie will likely be on 2 discs just like the DVD version. But on Blu-Ray it will probably just be one disc. That's just an example of how over 30GB might be useful.

Personally, I have not bought into either system. Maybe summer 2007 I'll pick one and get the whole thing.

That's a good point but I don't think it will be much of a concern to the regular movie watcher if a 2 or 3 disc SD-DVD isn't on one disc with BR or HD-DVD.

I'm planning on purchasing the HD-DVD add-on next week for the 360 so there goes my support lol. I dunno, it just seems to me that HD-DVD is the cheaper option and most people will go for that. Once more people buy into HD-DVD, that means BR won't be selling that much and some studios might have to reconsider their choice of format and movie exclusives. And like I've said before, BR would be great for storage, and just storage alone. Who wouldn't wanna just buy a pack of BR discs and backup an entire HDD in a matter of 2-4 discs? It's a nice alternative to what we have today.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
just put a hvd drive in the 20" imac, increase its resolution to 1920x1200, and discontinue the 17" and 24" models (way too small and large respectively). yeah.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.