Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
First off, I hope this is the appropriate forum; my question starts from a digital image, then moves on from there. If you have a suggestion for a better forum, please PM me so I can ask a mod to move it.

My wife enjoys doing counted cross stitch needlework, and I would like to make a pattern for her from a photo I took. The project (I believe) basically will entail taking an image and using (for example) Photoshop to reduce the number of colors to something manageable (about 50) and then pixellating the image to form larger squares of color (typical cross-stitch patterns are about 200x200 'pixels'). I can do all of this already, and the result seems OK.

Here's the problem: I need to convert this 50-color, pixellated image into a cross-stitch pattern, where each color is represented by a symbol. Are there any ideas (or do you know of any software) for doing this conversion?

This example from a cross-stitch magazine is the kind of output I'm trying to ultimately generate.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

picture1tw0.png

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Just bookmarking this thread for reference. My girlfriend likes doing this too. Last year she stitched a small orchid file that I pixelated and converted to 16 colours, and just printed out in colour. Not the easiest to follow!

barbarbayee

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2010
First off, I hope this is the appropriate forum; my question starts from a digital image, then moves on from there. If you have a suggestion for a better forum, please PM me so I can ask a mod to move it.

My wife enjoys doing counted cross stitch needlework, and I would like to make a pattern for her from a photo I took. The project (I believe) basically will entail taking an image and using (for example) Photoshop to reduce the number of colors to something manageable (about 50) and then pixellating the image to form larger squares of color (typical cross-stitch patterns are about 200x200 'pixels'). I can do all of this already, and the result seems OK.

Here's the problem: I need to convert this 50-color, pixellated image into a cross-stitch-kits.html"]cross stitch pattern, where each color is represented by a symbol. Are there any ideas (or do you know of any software) for doing this conversion?

This example from a cross-stitch magazine is the kind of output I'm trying to ultimately generate.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

picture1tw0.png
well, sound good as i always type the patter which i need into the google and then search it, i will try it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.