Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
My girlfriend has a 17" iMac and i was very impressed at how quiet they are - so my question is; how quiet are the powermacs and what kind of cooling do they use? I only have an iBook y'see.

I'm currently in the process of getting my pc silent; currently using a 23dB(a) PSU, Zalman case fans (20dB(A)) with a zalman flower cpu cooling unit on the way (see attatched).

I am thinking about saving towards a pmac as i'm beginning to despise my wintel machine (although i'm going to explore using linux or some flavour on it. I installed Mandrake a while back but didnt really like it). Having a quiet, if not silent, machine is an important factor and the datasheets on the apple site dont really give any indication!

6000cua.gif

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
i just installed 4 1.42dp's at work (all within a few feet of each other), and i didn't really notice them, no more than the older g4s anyways, the ones that are supposedly really noisy i haven't heard. from the sounds of it, your pc is noisier.

oh, sweet heatsink btw, the 1.42dp ones are cool too, plates of copper, massive.

sorry i don't have any actual figures for ya, but i wouldn't be concerned about the noise :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.