1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

How quiet are the PowerMacs?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mrjamin, May 4, 2003.

1. macrumors 65816

mrjamin

My girlfriend has a 17" iMac and i was very impressed at how quiet they are - so my question is; how quiet are the powermacs and what kind of cooling do they use? I only have an iBook y'see.

I'm currently in the process of getting my pc silent; currently using a 23dB(a) PSU, Zalman case fans (20dB(A)) with a zalman flower cpu cooling unit on the way (see attatched).

I am thinking about saving towards a pmac as i'm beginning to despise my wintel machine (although i'm going to explore using linux or some flavour on it. I installed Mandrake a while back but didnt really like it). Having a quiet, if not silent, machine is an important factor and the datasheets on the apple site dont really give any indication!

[​IMG]

2. macrumors 68010

evoluzione

i just installed 4 1.42dp's at work (all within a few feet of each other), and i didn't really notice them, no more than the older g4s anyways, the ones that are supposedly really noisy i haven't heard. from the sounds of it, your pc is noisier.

oh, sweet heatsink btw, the 1.42dp ones are cool too, plates of copper, massive.

sorry i don't have any actual figures for ya, but i wouldn't be concerned about the noise :)