Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dellius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2006
Which programming environment do u use under OS X ?

While I was under Windows I used to use M$ Visual C++ but under Mac OS I am a bit confused...

Quboid

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2006
everywhere
Which programming environment do u use under OS X ?

While I was under Windows I used to use M$ Visual C++ but under Mac OS I am a bit confused...

Confused? not sure what that means. But i use Xcode. Sucks for C coding sometimes. Cuase it doesn't contain all the libraries, but its pretty nice and simple.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Another vote for XCode. I use it for Objective-C/Cocoa development, as well as the occasional C program. It works well for both, although it is obviously primarily designed for Objective-C/Cocoa development. If you want to do Java, Eclipse is probably the way to go (although XCode does support Java).

TheLee

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2006
I use XCode because it's free and still pretty hearty. and because I find having to build and maintain make files a bit tedious (but something I should get better at doing).

Though I try to do most of my actual coding using vim because my productivity increases by a whole lot when i can do hugely complex things (that would require lots of cut-paste/editing tools in XCode) with just a few keystrokes. Although this has the downside that I try to use vim movement commands in XCode when I'm fixing errors/bugs.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Xcode works fine for most things on Mac OS X, but I don't care to use it for Java. However, it supports C, C++, and Objective-C very well.

Visual C++ style development hasn't been duplicated on Mac OS X but if you use Xcode for Objective-C, you'll find it's just as productive.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
Another one for Xcode. I find it an extremely good programming environment, at least for C-like languages. In my opinion, your best bet in OS X development.

lazydog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2005
Cramlington, UK
X-Code does me fine for Java servlet development. For support tools that need to run on Windows I use RealBasic. That's the boring stuff, for the fun stuff I use X-Code and Objective C++. I can't wait for the promised code folding feature of X-Code 3.

b e n

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I use Xcode as well. Or rather, I'm learning programming on Xcode. I love it, it makes learning programming very fun...at least to me.

steelphantom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2005
I like to use Smultron for coding, and I compile either via the Terminal or using CPP Edit. I'm still using Smultron 1.2.7 — it's a great, lightweight, no-frills text editor. :)

garethlewis2

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2006
XCode. For the second poster. What libraries out of the standard ones required for ANSI and ISO certification does GCC not have?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.