Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MatthewConnelly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Manchester, UK
Just a quick question. My dad has a first gen iPod Nano, and uses the supplied USB charger. We got my mum a second gen pink Nano for christmas, so we obviously haven't had a chance to open it yet. Will the current USB charger work fine with both iPods, or will we have to use separate chargers for each iPod?

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Just a quick question. My dad has a first gen iPod Nano, and uses the supplied USB charger. We got my mum a second gen pink Nano for christmas, so we obviously haven't had a chance to open it yet. Will the current USB charger work fine with both iPods, or will we have to use separate chargers for each iPod?
I have a USB charger.

I have used it for my gen 2 Shuffle and gen 2 Nano with no problems.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
all iPod chargers (even the FireWire ones from back in the days) will charge any iPod using a wall outlet.

edit: except the shuffles.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
all iPod chargers (even the FireWire ones from back in the days) will charge any iPod using a wall outlet.

edit: except the shuffles.
Your comment about the Shuffles has me a bit baffled.

I have used my USB charger for both generation Shuffles with no problem.

For the first generation version, I just plugged it in directly to the charger.

For the second generation version, I use the dock (which in turn plugs into the charger).

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
he meant it wouldn't work for the shuffle because the older firewire chargers are only available for the full sized iPod, not the Shuffle. The Shuffle is only USB, so it only has a USB port to charge from.. the old iPod Firewire charger, hence the name firewire.. only has a firewire port, not suitable for the Shuffle. But since everything is now USB, the new chargers should work fine...

robPOD

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2006
NZ
Your comment about the Shuffles has me a bit baffled.

I have used my USB charger for both generation Shuffles with no problem.

For the first generation version, I just plugged it in directly to the charger.

For the second generation version, I use the dock (which in turn plugs into the charger).

Lol get a real iPod

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.