Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 27, 2006, 05:28 AM   #1
MoBurkhardt
macrumors newbie

Question G3 iMac DV overclocking

Hi there I just restored an old 1999 G3 iMac DV 400MHZ with slot-drive from the dead, and I feel it lacks a bit of power under it's hood. I already put RAM and HDD but the computing power is just not enough.

What I want to do is go into OpenFirmware and speed up the cpu and possibly the bus, I remember doing so on my sawtooth but I can't find the code plus that was a G4 and now I have a G3.

I also found this page (http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~t-imai/imacde1.html) that shows how to mechanicaly overclock up to 1GHZ but I want to be able to do it non physical if possible.

I know this isn't the hot topic now a days but maybe some of you will remember what they used to do and feel some nostalgia(is that a propper word?).

thanks
MoBurkhardt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 05:40 AM   #2
Queso
macrumors 603

Why not just bid on this? It's totally swappable with your existing logic board, the on-board G3 is an IBM one where the cache works at full chip speed unlike your existing Motorola chip, and it comes with double the VRAM you currently have.
Queso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 08:14 AM   #3
Macmadant
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBurkhardt View Post
Hi there I just restored an old 1999 G3 iMac DV 400MHZ with slot-drive from the dead, and I feel it lacks a bit of power under it's hood. I already put RAM and HDD but the computing power is just not enough.

What I want to do is go into OpenFirmware and speed up the cpu and possibly the bus, I remember doing so on my sawtooth but I can't find the code plus that was a G4 and now I have a G3.

I also found this page (http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~t-imai/imacde1.html) that shows how to mechanicaly overclock up to 1GHZ but I want to be able to do it non physical if possible.

I know this isn't the hot topic now a days but maybe some of you will remember what they used to do and feel some nostalgia(is that a propper word?).

thanks
It can't be done without soldering, i brought this up ages ago, as my granddad owns one, now i've got his to recently purchase an ibook G3, with double the CPU speed, and 4X the VRAM
Macmadant is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs