Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jan 3, 2007, 09:07 PM   #1
jer2eydevil88
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to jer2eydevil88
Help! Web pages won't load on my Mac Pro

I am using a Mac Pro 2.66ghz x 4 with OS X 10.4.8

There are some websites that just won't load (including youtube.com so its not the sites fault) in any of my browsers. I have Firefox, Camino and Safari which are all experiencing the same unable to resolve the domain problem.

I don't know enough about OS X or Unix to fix this, in Windows XP there is a chain of events in the registry called the Winsock which can be replaced to rid a machine of a problem like this. Is there a similar fix for resetting the chain of events for web connectivity on a Mac? I know there is no registry on a *nix OS but surely there is some fix for this problem. I NEED to be able to access the web, I do not want to spend the umpteen hours necessary to reinstall OS X.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 09:11 PM   #2
dpaanlka
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to dpaanlka
Try going to System Preferences -> Network -> (Your Network Connection) -> TCP/IP

Where it says "DNS Servers" copy + paste the following in exactly as below:

Tell us if that fixes anything...
Old Jan 4, 2007, 08:36 AM   #3
jer2eydevil88
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to jer2eydevil88
Nope switching the Nameservers doesn't fix anything. Sorry I should have stated the problem is only on the Mac Pro while my Powerbook and PC's are working just fine.

The problem is Operating System level because booting into Windows XP makes all websites load just fine.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 08:38 AM   #4
psychofreak
Retired

Reinstalling the OS takes around 2-3 hours...
psychofreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 12:45 PM   #5
dpaanlka
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer2eydevil88 View Post
Nope switching the Nameservers doesn't fix anything. Sorry I should have stated the problem is only on the Mac Pro while my Powerbook and PC's are working just fine.

The problem is Operating System level because booting into Windows XP makes all websites load just fine.
So... you didn't try that then? Because that same exact problem always comes up here at Mac Rumors, and specifying name servers almost always fixes it.

You could also try creating a new user account (which will have no settings or preferences) and see if internet access works from there. If it does, just move your files over, give it admin privileges, and delete the old user account.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 03:12 PM   #6
marzy
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to marzy Send a message via MSN to marzy Send a message via Skype™ to marzy
I know this thread is a little old but looks like the same problem i had. Do you if peer gurdian installed, if so uninstall and reboot. even if it's not running somehow it's blocking.
marzy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 03:42 PM   #7
dlombardo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaanlka View Post
So... you didn't try that then? Because that same exact problem always comes up here at Mac Rumors, and specifying name servers almost always fixes it.

You could also try creating a new user account (which will have no settings or preferences) and see if internet access works from there. If it does, just move your files over, give it admin privileges, and delete the old user account.
Yes this worked for me and thank you!
dlombardo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:45 PM   #8
socalguy24
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Try going to System Preferences -> Network -> (Your Network Connection) -> TCP/IP

I joined just to thank your beautiful.... uh fingers i guess. You really helped me out you big brained bastard!
socalguy24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 04:51 PM   #9
erikchacon
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Amazing bro, i tried several solutions before this and always fail but this rocks well men.!! thanks.. bye bye loading page troubles in the mac
erikchacon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 10:23 AM   #10
dpaanlka
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalguy24 View Post
I joined just to thank your beautiful.... uh fingers i guess. You really helped me out you big brained bastard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikchacon View Post
Amazing bro, i tried several solutions before this and always fail but this rocks well men.!! thanks.. bye bye loading page troubles in the mac
All you're doing is telling your Mac to ignore your ISP's default DNS servers and use those of Level 3 Communications instead, which are reliably fast and efficient. The problem isn't with your Mac, it's with your ISP.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:49 PM   #11
wilsone26913
macrumors newbie

loading page troubles

oh thank god! resetting the servers really helped, ive had my mac desktop since the summer and had to deal with a lot of Wi-fi problems and then this separate issue where i needed to turn the wi-fi off and back on every time it would stop( like every 5 tabs or 20 mins depending on what i was doing at the time)

i just loaded like ten tabs and they all worked and the internet didn't konk out! Yay! thank you! my new "help" site
wilsone26913 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:01 PM   #12
whitechristmas2
macrumors newbie

It works

I was having problems uploading web pages on my macbook pro but then I did exactly what someone suggested about the DNS servers! I copied and paste and now my Safari browser works perfectly! Thanks Guys! :-)

----------

Quote:
All you're doing is telling your Mac to ignore your ISP's default DNS servers and use those of Level 3 Communications instead, which are reliably fast and efficient. The problem isn't with your Mac, it's with your ISP.
You re a super genius!! I was ready to throw macbook across the room but thankfully you saved me such ridiculousness! ;-)
whitechristmas2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 01:38 PM   #13
john basky
macrumors newbie

Wow this is fantastic thank you so much for posting. Have been trying to sort my Macbook out for weeks, two new routers and many hours lost. Even had my control panel unlocking it'self every time I rebooted and couldn't figure that out either.

This has solved both of my issues so happy now. Thanks again.
john basky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 01:13 PM   #14
iPhone Swag
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Do you enter these in one at a time or what?
iPhone Swag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2014, 05:00 PM   #15
THEFLY37
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Will this affect my internet bill? Since it's ignoring the default server?
THEFLY37 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2014, 07:46 PM   #16
satcomer
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEFLY37 View Post
Will this affect my internet bill? Since it's ignoring the default server?
Nope. Most ISPs have no clue about DNS (Domain Naming Service).
satcomer is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X