Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robocop2000

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Another world
This thread is intended as a list of known issues and annoyances with the new ipods so that new owners don't panic thinking the problem is just on their ipod. (also it may be of great interest to apple when they are writing the next software update!) Please keep this thread limited to ipod issues not musicmatch or itunes.

****PLEASE read the thread fully before adding problems to avoid duplication****

* There is a clicking noise between songs

*Sometimes after a pause or skip back the channels switch, ie the left channel becomes the right and vice versa

*When using the on-the-go playlist: If you add a song to the playlist while it is playing the new song won't be played unless the playlist is restarted

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
I'll add:

1) overly sensitive buttons
2) very slow firewire charging (I highly recommend using the plug to charge the iPod directly.)

dhdave

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2001
NJ
Mine has to be reset approximately every 24 hours. Sometimes it won't turn on at all. Other times it comes on but won't play. Like the pause button is on, but it's not. Once I do a reset it's fine. I still love it, but the glitches are very annoying.

-dh

robocop2000

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Another world
Another thing I have discovered is that first thing in the morning it takes a couple of minutes to "wake up". Navigation of the menus is very slow and I have been close to resetting it but then it just starts working again.

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
All of these...

I have noticed all of these problems, and in addition, I have had another problem:

* Ipod randomly shuts itself off while playing in the middle of a song.

This has only happened to me twice, but it's very annoying. It doesn't require a full system reset or anything, you just have to turn it back on. I know I didn't press any buttons accidentally because it was sitting on the desk right beside me when it happened, not touching anything.

robocop2000

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2003
Another world
Re: All of these...

Originally posted by illumin8
I know I didn't press any buttons accidentally because it was sitting on the desk right beside me when it happened, not touching anything.

Maybe a fly landed on the highly sensitive buttons :)

ozubahn

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2003
Connecticut
On a few occasions my new 15GB has ended a song prematurely. With 20 or 30 seconds still to go, it will just hop on to the next one. It is as if the forward button is generating spurious signals every so often. I also have all of the above problems, with the exception of the spontaneous shutdown.

I like this thing a lot, but it is definitely buggy. I used my original 5gig iPod for a year and a half without ever once resetting it. I've reset the new one several times already.

pauld

macrumors regular
Originally posted by ozubahn
On a few occasions my new 15GB has ended a song prematurely. With 20 or 30 seconds still to go, it will just hop on to the next one. It is as if the forward button is generating spurious signals every so often. I also have all of the above problems, with the exception of the spontaneous shutdown.

DITTO!
This happens when it is sitting on my table/in the dock - so no button have been pushed. Quite frustrating.

addsapple

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002
UK, England
Maybe the iPod is really a new generation music robot.. thing?? I mean, it has a mind of its own! It doesn't like a song so it skips it to the next! Then if it want a sleep, it turns itself off!

No joke

But I have ordered my new 30gb iPod and collecting it on Saturday! Im buying it with my 12% partner discount from John Lewis :) FUN... I seriously can't wait! YAAAY... OH JOY!! Yippee!:D :D :D

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
I feel fortunate to not have a lot of the problems listed here on my 15 GIG ... I only hope Apple can fix everything with software upgrades.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
There are times when the buttons on mine seem not to work, temporarily (and the hold button is not on). It quickly gets going again, after a few button presses (touches)

pauld

macrumors regular
Originally posted by Le Big Mac
There are times when the buttons on mine seem not to work, temporarily (and the hold button is not on). It quickly gets going again, after a few button presses (touches)

This happens to mine too. It seems to be stalling quite a bit, then if you keep pressing the button you end up going through a load of menus and playing a song you don't necessarily want to play.
Hmmmmm....

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
I haven't had any of these problems either, except the click sometimes between songs - can't tell if it's my MP3s or the ipod. Also, I've had to reset it a couple times when my PC crashed while it was connected (yes, I use a PC and I will be until I can afford a Mac, so leave it alone ;) ). Musicmatch seems okay, except that last night it told me the ipod was full and stopped loading songs :eek: but it still had 10 gigs free (15 gig ipod). I tried to load them again and a few more albums loaded up but then the PC crashed. The PC I'm using isn't the most stable one, but it's my only one with firewire. I was too tired to try syncing again, but I will try when I get home this evening. I have about 750 songs on it now.

Alia

JPGR_Fan

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2003
St. Louis
My 30 will freeze at about 15 minutes into a jog/run. Probably won't be a software/firmware fix for this, but maybe an Apple recommended way to hold it steady.

somecows

macrumors member
May 6, 2003
Charlottesville, VA
So does anyone have any idea what the clicking between songs is, and how to avoid it? its not that big a deal i guess but every time i hear it i feel like a little electrical wire is being zapped in my brain, or something.

Also, how come my 15 gig ipod had less than 14 gigs of available space when i first got it? i assume the software on the thing takes up some space, but a gig seems like an awful lot?

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by somecows
So does anyone have any idea what the clicking between songs is, and how to avoid it? its not that big a deal i guess but every time i hear it i feel like a little electrical wire is being zapped in my brain, or something.

Also, how come my 15 gig ipod had less than 14 gigs of available space when i first got it? i assume the software on the thing takes up some space, but a gig seems like an awful lot?
Hmmm. I was getting ready to buy an iPod + after all these comments I think I will wait a few weeks/months until these things have been cleared up! I still want one, just dont want a dud!

chewbaccapits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
Torrance, Californizzel
Maybe its just me..But I noticed a "rainbow" magnitized effect on the screen directly below the headphone jack, its as if the jack caused it....Anyone?...I seem to notice it at certain angles when natural light hits it...

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Originally posted by chewbaccapits
Maybe its just me..But I noticed a "rainbow" magnitized effect on the screen directly below the headphone jack, its as if the jack caused it....Anyone?...I seem to notice it at certain angles when natural light hits it...

You know, you're right, however it isn't there when turned on or in use, its noticeable when turned off.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC

The click to me sounds electrical. Like there's some problem with the ground. The internal amp shuts off when the song ends causing a click, and then starts up again. (not that I know the internal workings). I wonder if the problem exists without the remote?

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Return your iPods

My friend got a 10 gig ipod for windows only that had alot of the same problems that you all are listing. It would freeze and load very slowly and sometimes wouldn't even restart, he had to left the battery run out. Well when I used it I said to him "this shouldn't work like this, even though you are using a PC." Well he sent it back to apple and they sent him a new one that works fine, they even payed for shipping and no hassles. I have a new 15 gig ipod and it works great, none of the problems described above. So if I were you guys, I would send it back to apple, $300-$500 is alot of money. Its impossible for all the ipods ever made to work perfectly, so send it back and get a new one!

jermsmingy

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2002
Houston
I have had these problems

But my biggest complaint is the backlight. On my original iPod when the backligtht was turned on using the menu button it would stay on until the buttons or scroll wheel had not moved or been pushed for like 5 seconds. Now I will be scrolling and it will just turn off in the middle of me trying to find a song. I have tried changing the backlight timer but the same thing happens. I don't want the backlight timer always on cause that is annoying. I wish they would make it like the original iPods. But that is really my only complaint.

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA

All hard drives are like that when you buy a 15GB Hard Drive it usually only has about 14.2 GB of usuable space. Now the good question is...why dont they make the hard disks 15.8GB so they are actually 15GB of usuble space?

-MacboyX

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
Originally posted by CrackedButter
I have no problems or any issues with mine.
I haven't had any problems with my 10 GB either. I love it! I like the new buttons. Although they were a bit touchy at first, I got used to them quickly. I am very satisfied with my purchase! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.