Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2007, 07:36 PM   #1
YS2003
macrumors 68020

How do you make a living if you work for activist groups such as Green Peace?

I am curious to know how those people who spend their time and energy into the cause they believe in and make a living? One of the examples is Green Peace. Do they just work at their cause part time while working for for-profit companies to make a living? If they work full time at their non profit organization, do they get paid decently? Or, are they just simply rich when they borne and do not need to work? Some of the activists participate in the rally or other special events organized by their respective organization on certain day (not all the time).
Old Jan 8, 2007, 07:40 PM   #2
balamw

Does this help at all: http://www.greenpeace.org/international/about/jobs

It's a job, you get paid to do it.

B
Old Jan 8, 2007, 07:41 PM   #3
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

It depends...Greenpeace itself has 1800 employees, according to Wikipedia. But many of the others who just attend rallies are simply supporters. It's either a "hobby" in their spare time or they have some other source of income (investments, a significant other, etc.).
Old Jan 8, 2007, 07:46 PM   #4
YS2003
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
Does this help at all: http://www.greenpeace.org/international/about/jobs

It's a job, you get paid to do it.

B
It's like a regular job, then. Is it the same thing if you work for other cause-oriented non-profit organizations?
Old Jan 8, 2007, 07:49 PM   #5
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by YS2003 View Post
It's like a regular job, then. Is it the same thing if you work for other cause-oriented non-profit organizations?
Working for a cause oriented non-profit or an NGO is still a job, even if there may also be plenty of volunteers around as well.

You just get a nice bonus in doing something you believe in.

B
Old Jan 10, 2007, 03:01 PM   #6
mactastic
macrumors 68040

Just because a group is non-profit doesn't mean they don't pay their employees!

And BTW, people who attend Greenpeace rallies are not necessarily employees of Greenpeace any more than people who attend church are church employees.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion