Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:22 PM   #1
Palad1
macrumors 6502a
 
Palad1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London, UK
MacFUSE: Read/Write FTP in finder (and much much much more)

Hello messieurs dames,

A. Singh ported Fuse to the mac.
http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/iss...?id=1&can=2&q=

What is Fuse? It's an unix utility that allows the user to treat nearly anything as a working filesystem.

Long story short, for each and every Mac application, we now have :
  • Read/Write FTP support
  • Read/Write NTFS support without size limits
  • GoogleMail support
  • Blogger / Wordpress / Flicker acces as if they were files on your drive

There's a whole slew of plugins, ranging from ZFS (not restricted to leopard anymore!) to Doom's WAD support, there: http://fuse.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/FileSystems

Let's all share our scripts/GUI wrappers for the rest of the community to enjoy
Palad1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:27 PM   #2
SpaceMagic
macrumors 68000
 
SpaceMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Cardiff, Wales
wow! I've been wanting finder FTP support for years! Only thing I see Windows Explorer has an advantage at!
SpaceMagic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 09:52 AM   #3
atari1356
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more attention...

The ability to read/write NTFS is great for anybody using Bootcamp - and being able to access an FTP server just like a local drive is great.

For Textmate users, I've heard you can even open a file tree... so you can browse and edit your files right on the FTP server (great for anybody doing web design/development).
atari1356 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 08:55 PM   #4
twoodcc
macrumors P6
 
twoodcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Right side of wrong
Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
well i installed this and now it says that i have too many connections from this IP to the ftp site?
__________________
tville
Smarter than the average bear
twoodcc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 10:13 PM   #5
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gone but not forgotten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari1356 View Post
I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more attention...

The ability to read/write NTFS is great for anybody using Bootcamp - and being able to access an FTP server just like a local drive is great.

For Textmate users, I've heard you can even open a file tree... so you can browse and edit your files right on the FTP server (great for anybody doing web design/development).
It got plenty of attention at OSNews and Ars Technica last week. It's just surprising that few have heard of the technology.

Amit Singh is now a hero to a lot of Mac users.

Hopefully, the software will help a lot of people and end of a lot of frustration.
bousozoku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Jowl
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: UK
For Real? I can have R/W NTFS access on the Mac?

I'm downloading now!
Jowl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 12:39 PM   #7
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4
 
wrldwzrd89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Solon, OH
This is excellent news! I'll definitely be giving this utility a try.
__________________
iMac Intel (Rev H, 27"), 1TB HDD, 16GB RAM, 10.8.4
wrldwzrd89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 01:35 PM   #8
jeremy.king
macrumors 603
 
jeremy.king's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Fox Lake, IL
anyone have the balls to try this before I do?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.p...pic=38920&st=0

Last edited by jeremy.king; Jan 28, 2007 at 09:37 PM.
jeremy.king is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 09:37 PM   #9
jeremy.king
macrumors 603
 
jeremy.king's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Fox Lake, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjr3 View Post
anyone have the balls to try this before I do?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.p...pic=38920&st=0
Well, I tried...and...
...
...
...
..
..
..
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
IT WORKS! I just copied three files to my NTFS Windows partition from OS X!

You won't set any land speed records but I just wanted to let people know there is hope!

PS - just browse the iDisk account, as the links aren't valid anymore. Also, you will need to know your disk id and volume name in some of those terminal commands, so don't cut and paste. Sometimes its noted, sometimes it isn't.
jeremy.king is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 05:20 PM   #10
Josh396
macrumors 65816
 
Josh396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Peoria/Chicago, IL
I may be a little anal here, but I'm just curious if I can get it to show up the way I'd like it to. After going through all the steps I'm able to rebot and load my XP partition, but it loads with the name disk0s3 and shows zero KB free. I'm still able to read and write to it, I was just curious if I could somehow get it to load with Windows XP as the name and the actual free amount of space I have on it. I'm a total terminal newbie so I wasn't sure if maybe I did something wrong along the way or thats just all it's able to do as of right now. Thanks in advance for any help.
Josh396 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 08:05 PM   #11
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus
 
mkrishnan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Grand Rapids, MI, USA
A Fuse extension is also being developed for wdfs to support WebDAV in HTTPS. Sweeeeeeeeet. I've been needing that for several years and been using Goliath instead. Eww.
__________________
Mira C. Krishnan
mkrishnan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 10:54 PM   #12
jeremy.king
macrumors 603
 
jeremy.king's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Fox Lake, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh396 View Post
I may be a little anal here, but I'm just curious if I can get it to show up the way I'd like it to. After going through all the steps I'm able to rebot and load my XP partition, but it loads with the name disk0s3 and shows zero KB free. I'm still able to read and write to it, I was just curious if I could somehow get it to load with Windows XP as the name and the actual free amount of space I have on it. I'm a total terminal newbie so I wasn't sure if maybe I did something wrong along the way or thats just all it's able to do as of right now. Thanks in advance for any help.
You don't have to do anything with Terminal. All you needed to do was install the two packages as explained in the first sentence.
jeremy.king is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 03:15 AM   #13
Josh396
macrumors 65816
 
Josh396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Peoria/Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjr3 View Post
You don't have to do anything with Terminal. All you needed to do was install the two packages as explained in the first sentence.
Sorry I forgot to mention I didn't follow those exact steps. I was using a different site I found a few days back and never knew of those steps. I guess I'll have to go back and do those. Thanks.
Josh396 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slow read write ventuss MacBook Pro 4 Feb 12, 2014 01:27 AM
VMware Fusion 5 - Shared Folder (Read/Write) - Yet no write permissions in VM altjx Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 2 Aug 29, 2013 10:19 AM
Read and Write NTFS in OS X mbanewuser MacBook Air 5 Dec 20, 2012 01:03 PM
my WD HDD is read only.I can't write anything.....help!!! falconb Mac Basics and Help 6 Sep 24, 2012 01:20 AM
Do I need MacFuse AND ntfs-3g in order to get nfts write support? SoldOnApple OS X 1 Jun 12, 2012 10:10 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC