Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Originally posted by cubist
Looks like more "Matrix" hype. Or maybe they're just copying it. Whatever it is, it's pompous and pretentious.

I somehow doubt that it's anything directly linked to the matrix. 'Reloaded' comes out in the states tomorrow (the 15th), whereas the date from stanford's banner is the 19th.

Someone's probably just having some fun and was allowed a bit of leeway when designing this.

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
I somehow doubt that it's anything directly linked to the matrix. 'Reloaded' comes out in the states tomorrow (the 15th), whereas the date from stanford's banner is the 19th.

Someone's probably just having some fun and was allowed a bit of leeway when designing this.
I hope you are right, i really am not interesting in making a trip through the country to install everywhere a new client.:( But sooner or later it s what s gonna happen.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
sorry if i sound stupid by saying this, but i don't get it. i understand it has something to do with the matrix, but i don't get the rest. why is 19th?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
it's for folding. a similar banner is on my individual folding stats page.

plus, you can see folding@home in the flash thingy linked to in the first post.

so i'm guessing it's a folding software release for that date.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Originally posted by zimv20
it's for folding. a similar banner is on my individual folding stats page.

plus, you can see folding@home in the flash thingy linked to in the first post.

so i'm guessing it's a folding software release for that date.

ok thanks for clearing that up.:D

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by zimv20
what are gromacs?

Gromacs is a diiferent core from the standard (Tinker) one that is used by the F@H clients.

It is supposed to enable Altivec processing on Mac clients.

There's quite a bit of discussion about it here.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
We already have gromacs via -advmethods, so I'm not sure this is gromacs related...

True, you *can* access gromacs, but it requires a little twiddling. Perhaps the 19.5 release will bring it to everyone else, who perhaps isn't quite as comfortable in terminal.

Or perhaps what you currently get is a beta test, and we're about to see the final released? Whatever though, it'll be nice if this really does bring more power :)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by britboy
True, you *can* access gromacs, but it requires a little twiddling. Perhaps the 19.5 release will bring it to everyone else, who perhaps isn't quite as comfortable in terminal.

Or perhaps what you currently get is a beta test, and we're about to see the final released? Whatever though, it'll be nice if this really does bring more power :)

Absolutely. My interest is definitely piqued...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I'm thinking its the gromac 2

key words in the animation

foldiing@homecoregromaccyou!

2coregromac

Looks like an update using the Matrix reference due to timeliness of the new movie release.

D

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
I'm thinking its the gromac 2

key words in the animation

foldiing@homecoregromaccyou!

2coregromac

Looks like an update using the Matrix reference due to timeliness of the new movie release.

D

You missed a couple of important letters:

sse2coregromac

So definitely optimized for PCs (at least)...

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Check your FAHlog.txt and see if you've got "Folding@home Gromacs Core" at the top of the current WU.

[04:50:30] Folding@Home Client Core Version 2.47 (June 14, 2002)

doesn't look like it. but it d/loaded version 3.25 about half an hour ago. it was 3.24. dunno if that makes a difference.

oh, and i'm running GUI client. don't know if _that_ makes a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.