Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manhole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
hello

when i used windoz i would use virtualdub to edit large avi files of tv/movies to make them smaller and stuff, it would just splice out clips of avi segments that i wanted to save without converting them to anything intermediate, then i could join them all as segments

is there anyway to do this in mac?

this is what i know so far

imovie HD seems only to work with DVD video
clip creator converts everything to quicktime
simple video editor only lets you make one splice

is there anything that can extract avi clips in mac liks virtual dub?

if not, what is the effect of all these programs converting avi (divx?) files to quicktime when they splice them? quicktime isnt a codec right?

is ther any intro to mac video anybody can point me to? is the size and quality of avi files effected by automatic conversion to quicktime format? aer they stil divx files within quicktime format?

confused
manhole

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
For this kind of simple editing Quicktime Pro is the simplest solution. AVI and QT are both what they call "containers" and can hold various types of encoded media.

iMovie works with DV format and if you need to chop up some footage and reassemblethe clips it works well. Depending on how many cuts you have it may be worth transcoding to DV and using iMove. But QT Pro will do simple cuts and slices

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.