Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
I think my router is dying and I need a new one. my internet connection on all the computers in the house has come to a crawl. Plugging my machines right into my cable modem makes everything fast again. So I figure the router is the culpret, worked fine for a couple years. I currently have a Linksys 8-port wired router. So I'd like anotherone with at least 8-ports on it. I've thought aboout wireless but I don't need it and my house is already wired for ethernet. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
As far as non-Apple branded cable/DSL routers go, I've always liked Linksys the best. They've been the most reliable for me. I'd go for another one of those.

aj98

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2006
I think my router is dying and I need a new one. my internet connection on all the computers in the house has come to a crawl. Plugging my machines right into my cable modem makes everything fast again. So I figure the router is the culpret, worked fine for a couple years. I currently have a Linksys 8-port wired router. So I'd like anotherone with at least 8-ports on it. I've thought aboout wireless but I don't need it and my house is already wired for ethernet. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Linksys has released several firmware updates over the last couple of years.

Is your routers firmware up to date?

Also, try powering down the router for several minutes. (Effectively, flushing the routing tables, etc.) Improvement?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.