Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
OK so I've recently had the urge to hook my MBP up to my TV. My TV is HD-Ready but has no HDMI in port. Only component video. Will this work for me?
Linky

Picture:
B000G09ZS2.01-A3COPTWNSDH5J3._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V51153202_.jpg

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Not having actually tried it with that kind of cable I can't guarantee anything, but that looks to me like exactly what you'll want. It'll be using the analog output embedded in the DVI output, not the digital, but that's all your TV supports anyway.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Not having actually tried it with that kind of cable I can't guarantee anything, but that looks to me like exactly what you'll want. It'll be using the analog output embedded in the DVI output, not the digital, but that's all your TV supports anyway.

Any idea of what kind of resolutions/quality I can expect?

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
OK so I looked into it a bit more (I <3 wikipedia) and found that I will most likely be getting RGB composite video from this connector, as that is what the analog part of the DVI connector puts out. However my TV uses YPbPr. :confused: I'm a bit confused about the whole thing. Does this mean anything? Will I still be able to use this cable?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Considering that it only takes an inexpensive adapter to convert from VGA to old-school component video (the yellow plug) or SVideo, my guess is that it's probably no biggie to do the conversion from VGA to YPbPr, either. I could of course be wrong, but this is my guess (I also note that my TV has a VGA input that you can put an adapter for YPbPr inputs on; the opposite of what you're doing, but it seems like the conversion isn't involved).

As for how it'll look on your TV, that's going to depend entirely on the TV, how well it handles that input at high-def (versus, say, a pure-digital HDMI input), and maybe even how good the cable is.

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
just plug in the DVI end and then the component end in your TV, and assuming it's a good cable, you should see resolutions of 1366x768 or 1280x720 (my choice w/ my mac mini hooked to my TV via VGA)

xappeal

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2005
Brisbane - Australia
You'll find that that cable is only likely to work with DVI-I and the like. The output from a MacBook/MacBook pro is DVI-D, you might be able to get a similar cable that connects to a VGA port, and use that output from the MacBook Pro.

What I am trying to say is, that cables might fit together, but the signal is the wrong one, hence I don't think it would work.

Edit: Look at the cable closely, you'll notice 4 pins around the flat pin, these are absent on the MacBook Pro adapter (and needed for that type of output) the cable WON'T fit, don't buy it.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
Your HD TV does not have HDI, DVI or VGA inputs? :eek:

What connection does your TV have?

The male side on the cable is a DVI-I. I think that the MBP is a dual link DVI-D and apple offers a composite cable and S-video adapter just not sure that you will get component video out of the graphics card. This thread from Apple support forum suggests not.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
You'll find that that cable is only likely to work with DVI-I and the like. The output from a MacBook/MacBook pro is DVI-D, you might be able to get a similar cable that connects to a VGA port, and use that output from the MacBook Pro.

What I am trying to say is, that cables might fit together, but the signal is the wrong one, hence I don't think it would work.

Edit: Look at the cable closely, you'll notice 4 pins around the flat pin, these are absent on the MacBook Pro adapter (and needed for that type of output) the cable WON'T fit, don't buy it.

Uhm, if you mean that the MBP doesn't have the four holes around the X or Plus sign thingly. You're wrong, it does.
gallery-big-03.jpg

Your HD TV does not have HDI, DVI or VGA inputs? :eek:

What connection does your TV have?

The male side on the cable is a DVI-I. I think that the MBP is a dual link DVI-D and apple offers a composite cable and S-video adapter just not sure that you will get component video out of the graphics card. This thread from Apple support forum suggests not.
As i said my TV has Component Video.

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
xander,
i've tried that cable with my mbp and it definitely does not work. on my display preferences it shows it as outputting an RGB signal and not an NTSC signal that my TV could use.

supposedly, the ati x1600 requires an hdtv component adapter like the ones mentioned here:
http://ati.amd.com/products/hdtvadapter/index.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290078684014

it sounds like the adapter needs some windows software installed to make it work. i haven't tried it, so i don't know if it would work on macs or not. i'm curious though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.