Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davof82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2007
iTunes will not let you convert AAC to MP3. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good free converter that will allow me to do this.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It's possible to convert unprotected files but you'd likely be losing even more sound information.

If you're asking how to convert protected AAC files, please don't.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Go into iTunes preferences and under Advanced tab select Importing tab and change import using AAC encoder to MP3 encoder. Then under then main menus, Advanced, select Convert Selection to MP3. It will leave the original and make an MP3 version.

You cannot do this with protected AAC from the store.

I have had to do this because my wife has a SWIMP3 goggles player that only uses MP3 and we have all our CDs in AAC, so I convert what she needs to MP3 before dragging them into her player.

zag1th

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2007
convert unprotected AAC to MP3 cuts off 4 seconds

I am perplexed. I recently started using iTunes - I know I am a slacker. Overall I am very pleased. My wife uses the iPod, I listen to the music via iTunes on my PC. Recently I got a different player - iRiver that requires MP3. Well since I had several of my CDs in iTunes as unprotected AAC files I found that I could just convert them to MP3. With a few quick strokes of the keyboard - Viola! I had MP3, I uploaded them to my iRiver and then realized that every single song has approx. 4 seconds cut off at the end of the song. Whats up with that? Did I do something wrong? Please help or provide advise how to fix this.

Thanks in advance.

macphoenix

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2009
How to convert AAC to MP3

Right clicking on one or a multiple of songs in the iTunes music library or even in a playlist will bring up the option to convert a song or songs to MP3

MatthewAMEL

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
Orlando, FL
Sorry about the thread resurrection, but I just wanted to thank roland.g for that tip.

Awesome and worked perfectly to get 175 songs burned for my Dad's car.

Thanks!

Blush3250

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
Go into iTunes preferences and under Advanced tab select Importing tab and change import using AAC encoder to MP3 encoder. Then under then main menus, Advanced, select Convert Selection to MP3. It will leave the original and make an MP3 version.

I have had to do this because my wife has a SWIMP3 goggles player that only uses MP3 and we have all our CDs in AAC, so I convert what she needs to MP3 before dragging them into her player.

Thank you! This was so helpful.

Labaguette

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
Good ol' Germany
unfortunately some people just didn't get (yet) that all songs bought since may 2009 (i believe) don't have DRM any more. they are 256kbit/s AAC files with m4a extension (no m4p any more) that can be played on virtually any device (SonyEricsson, HTC phones, etc.) and be shared with anyone. even the music videos are freed from DRM.

regards, Baguette

UpDownAeroplane

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
yep, all music on the itunes store is DRM free. don't convert one lossy format to another! it will sound even worse than it did before!

cgjonesy

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2010
how do you convert pre 2009 music

so how do you EASILY convert pre 2009 purchased music to mp3.I would like to convert some tracks I bought in 2008, itunes 9.2.1 wont do it, although music bought this year converts easily

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
so how do you EASILY convert pre 2009 purchased music to mp3.I would like to convert some tracks I bought in 2008, itunes 9.2.1 wont do it, although music bought this year converts easily

Circumventing DRM and other activities that may qualify as piracy are frowned upon in these forums.

A Google search would probably give you a step-by-step, though...

yep, all music on the itunes store is DRM free. don't convert one lossy format to another! it will sound even worse than it did before!

That wouldn't have helped roland.g with his SwiMP3, though. There are music players that are restricted to MP3 format, and in those cases, compatibility trumps sound quality. For example, I use a process exactly like roland.g's tip to help fill my daughter's Sansa Shaker, which plays only MP3 files (it won't even play WMA).

Brucewl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
Did iTunes really can't convert AAC to MP3? I remember that I did it before...

Brucewl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
It can now, but back when the music in the iTunes store had DRM, this wasn't allowed-- and in fact is still not allowed on music bought with DRM.

Ok, I got it, Just like me had a video with drm and haven't got password, but I really want to watch it!

SpinCoach

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2010

Good tip 'Roland'. This works. All the old CD's I imported to my mac, I now needed to also be able to play on a simpler small device which unfortunately only reads mp3. Going back to iTunes Preferences was the key step I'd missed.Thanks.

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004

Simply burn the tracks to CD format, then re-rip as MP3's. This works with protected AAC tracks.

dime21

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
Circumventing DRM and other activities that may qualify as piracy are frowned upon in these forums.
LOL, what? He wants to use his own legally purchased music on his own legally purchased device. It is not illegal to cure your files of their DRM infection, for compatibility purposes. It's called "Fair use". (It is only illegal to distribute copies to others).

It's pretty crass to suggest that someone is a "pirate" for wanting to listen to their own legally purchased music.

Simply burn the tracks to CD format, then re-rip as MP3's. This works with protected AAC tracks.
And instead of wasting 100 blank CD's, just use a single CD-RW. You can erase it and burn new stuff onto it over and over again.

Last edited by a moderator:

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
LOL, what? He wants to use his own legally purchased music on his own legally purchased device. It is not illegal to cure your files of their DRM infection, for compatibility purposes. It's called "Fair use". (It is only illegal to distribute copies to others).

It's pretty crass to suggest that someone is a "pirate" for wanting to listen to their own legally purchased music.

You might want to read the DMCA. Whether you think it should be illegal or not, it absolutely is illegal to circumvent DRM, even for your own personal use. Sorry. Fair use is a separate issue from circumventing DRM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.