Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stordoff

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2009
I'm not convinced that the CD burn and rip method is technically violating the DMCA. The DRM allows you to burn to a CD, and (admittedly it's a grey area) ripping a CD is considered fair use.

Mala

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2003
I'm trying to convert an AAC file.

I used a LiveScribe Pulse pen to record a long meeting, and my sister, who has lately developed a certain amount of deafness, is trying to transcribe it, but it's full of hiss. I'd like to convert it to an mp3 so she can play it on various different software types and make it louder.

For some reason, iTunes refuses to open it, though it plays fine in QuickTime. But QuickTime doesn't seem able to convert files...

neocodesoftware

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2008
how to convert aac to mp3 on mac for free

from http://neocodesoftware.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-convert-aac-to-mp3-on-mac-os-x.html

1. install VLC
3. create a file called convert.sh on your desktop ie. ~/Desktop/convert.sh
4. chmod +x convert.sh
5. make the contents of convert.sh

Code:
#!/bin/sh

vlc="/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC"
ext="mp3"
dst="/Users/[your name]/Desktop/"

for a in *$fmt; do
$vlc -I dummy -vvv "./$a" --sout "#transcode{acodec=mp3,ab=128,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:std{mux=raw,dst=\"$dst$a.$ext\",access=file}" vlc://quit
done

6. open terminal and cd to folder that has your AAC music files ie. ~/Desktop/AAC
7. then type ~/Desktop/convert.sh *.aac
8. sit back and relax as the files are converted

Notes
http://wiki.videolan.org/How_to_Batch_Encode
http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentat...dline:_Converting_an_audio_file_to_a_MP3_file

alex39

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2011
I've been using iTunes to convert aac to mp3 for years, but in the new iTunes 10.5 I can no longer find the import options in the preference menu, and right clicking only allows converting to AAC. Am I missing something? Any help out there?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I've been using iTunes to convert aac to mp3 for years, but in the new iTunes 10.5 I can no longer find the import options in the preference menu, and right clicking only allows converting to AAC. Am I missing something? Any help out there?

On my iTunes it's in the Preferences under "General", right of "When inserting CD...".

v3nt

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
mp3 to aac

trying this code and its pretty amazing! It works fine but seems to remove all the song details.

And how could it be edited to place the new files in the same folder as the source or even delete the source after completed?

Code:
vlc="/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC"
ext="m4a"
dst="/Users/jynk/Desktop/"

for a in *$fmt; do
$vlc -I dummy -vvv "./$a" --sout "#transcode{acodec= mpga,ab=256,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:std{mux=raw,dst=\"$dst$a.$ext\",access=file}" vlc://quit
done

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
You might want to read the DMCA. Whether you think it should be illegal or not, it absolutely is illegal to circumvent DRM, even for your own personal use. Sorry. Fair use is a separate issue from circumventing DRM

Burning music on a CD, using functionality that is built into the iTunes, is not circumventing DRM. To "circumvent" DRM, you have to do something that a normal user wouldn't be able to do, or buy / download tools doing things that normally cannot be done. If you click on an album, then click on "Burn to CD", and iTunes just does it, then you're not circumventing any DRM.

Or let's say you buy a CD that supposedly is protected by DRM. You put it into your Mac, like any other CD, click on "Import" in iTunes and it gets imported - if that is what happens, then the "DRM" is not effective, so you are not circumventing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.