Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
I installed Palm Desktop on my MacBook in an effort to resurrect an old PDA. After fooling around with it for a few minues I realised that it is a hideous excuse for a program. I dragged it in AppZapper and gave it the heave ho. The problem started when I tried to empty my Trash. I get an error "The operation cannot be completed because Localized.rsrc is in use." I've tried spotlight and I cannot find this file, or the process that is using it. Any suggestions?

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
Have you tried shutting it down beacause it might be running and if it is it will show in process menu(I'm not in front of my mac right now so bare with me)

Bless

I've shut down everything I can think of, restarted a couple of times, and shut down every process that I could without getting logged out, no luck.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
wow, dejavu, I did exactly the same thing recently, was going to use an old PDA.. it didnt work how I wanted so i bailed it all and this same thing happened to me.

I spotlight searched the file, to find it's full path, then i opened Terminal and removed it from the command line

rm -f filename.blah

bye bye file

PeggyD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Covington, WA, USA
I've never done anything in Terminal, not sure what to do. Also, spotlight doesn't pull up the file, or its path.

Palm Desktop, among several other programs, puts a item or two in your Login items. First, go to System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items & highlight any Palm items (do not check the box, that just hides the process) & click the minus sign at the bottom of the list. You may have to click the lock to make changes. This will stop these from starting when you log in. Now you should be able to restart, log in & then empty the Trash.

I use Activity Monitor rather than Terminal to stop processes.

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
take it out of the trash to the desktop.
highlight it and hit command "i"

at the bottom where the file permissions are listed under details, change all the items to your name (they may have other owners such as sys or wheel, etc.) and make them all read/write.

move the file to the trash and empty trash.

if you do a lot of that kind of thing, d/l something like chop or chmod where you can drop the file onto the app and have it change the permissions auto.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.