Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacRumors.com is now offering a 2002-2003 Contributor's Mug for users who wish to contribute to this site.

This year's Mug is a 16oz Frosted Glass Mug, with the MacRumors.com logo/name on one site, and a list of products/rumors from the 2002-2003 rumor season.

Total cost of the Mug and contribution is $32.

Readers who wish to contribute, but don't need a Mug may contribute via Paypal or Amazon.com for a reduced cost of $20. All benefits of contribution last one year from the day of payment. Major benefits of contributing include:
an ad-free version of the main site, "Demi-God" designation in the forums, and a warm fuzzy feeling*.

Readers who do not wish to contribute may continue to enjoy MacRumors.com as usual.

* your mileage may vary. warmness and/or fuzziness of the feeling not guaranteed.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: hmmmm

Originally posted by sweetaction
only if it has G5!

G5 was on last year's mug. :) Sadly... it's gone now... replaced with the latest promise... the 970.

arn

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Happy to toss a few bucks your way, arn, but lemme asses my standing with bills, first. Is there any sort of restriction to time?

Dan

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
you can contribute whenever you'd like... this mug will be on sale for approximately a year. Certainly, take care of your bills first. :)

arn

bentmywookie

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
Palo Alto
Quick question:

If we want to contribute but don't want the demi-god status (because we would like to see what level we are at - member, regular, processor, whatever) can we contribute and then just not forward our name?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Well, yes... but then you don't get the benefits of contribution... as the ad-free page and private forums rely on your forum status.

One issue that has come up is that some do not wish to be called "God" or "Goddess" - in which we can choose a non-religious reference... but again, it would stay static, but would not change with post count.

arn

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
so would we get the much-coveted right to bear avatars without the dreaded
"wait until total post counts" by purchasing said mug?

I sure do want somethin' real purty by my name... and ooooooh. It's frosted! :D

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Unfortunately, I've stuck with the post-count related avatar ability.

Despite the abuse problems associated with post-count-related privledges... the original thought behind the avatar issue has been that those who participate in the forums earn an avatar and are "known" to the community.

I think most people enjoy contributor status, however... ;)

arn

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Originally posted by Mudbug
so would we get the much-coveted right to bear avatars without the dreaded
"wait until total post counts" by purchasing said mug?

Avatars only come with your 500th post.:D

Or by contributing a couple hundred bucks.

(just kidding about that, everyone...arn...you know, just kiddin' and stuff...):cool:

bentmywookie

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
Palo Alto
Originally posted by arn
Well, yes... but then you don't get the benefits of contribution... as the ad-free page and private forums rely on your forum status.

One issue that has come up is that some do not wish to be called "God" or "Goddess" - in which we can choose a non-religious reference... but again, it would stay static, but would not change with post count.

arn

"demi-god/goddess" does seem a little weird, in a "holier than thou" way. I personally don't care too much. I was just asking if there was a way to shirk the demi-god status because I feel like it just gives off this "I contribute and you don't message" to all the non demi's.

I'm definitely going to buy the mug, but my reason for doing so is simply to support an excellent site that I visit and enjoy regularly (I'm sure this is the same for most people).

I guess I just don't see the reason for the demi-god/goddess status designator.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
i don't exactly look very hard or anything... but, are there any users who are demi-god's and have no avatar?

i've seen several 'Status: macrumors 6502' users with no avatar, presumably because they are too lazy or don't know they can... but never a demi-god without an avatar.

and bigjohn, it must be nice to live in arcadia. better things to do than sit on macrumors.

Pancake

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2003
Anchorage, Alaska
I have decided to get the mug. I very much like this site and want to help. Plus, I just recieved my Star Trek Mastercard in the mail, it has the Enterprise D on it, and want to take it for a test drive. First, I have to figure out how I'm paying for school, ofcourse.

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
not in arcadia

I'm not in arcadia and there isn't always much else to do in good 'ol I D Ho! I would like to get my status off of "newbie" but not sure I'm ready to make the jump to "demi-god". I have read the site for years, many while I owned a PC so I will definetly look at contributing because I really enjoy your site arn!

akos33

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
I just wonder why someone would press the negative link when the offer is really humble and not negative at all...since one have a choice.

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Good news and bad news.

Good news is I'll be giving AUS $30 (Equiv. USD $20) to MR as early as tonight.

Bad news is:

I burnt my tongue on my coffee...

And in terms of the avatar thing I have one ready...
(But I may change it a bit)

Attachments

• scroll.gif
    scroll.gif
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,247

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by melchior
and bigjohn, it must be nice to live in arcadia. better things to do than sit on macrumors.

People in Arcadia have to come over here to L.A. to do anything fun. :D

Just kidding. I'm sure there are lots of great things to do in Arcadia.

Anyway, I think I'll contribute. I've been on this site for almost a year and love it. How about I do it on the day I've been here for a year. Wait, no... That's in about 2 months and I don't want to wait that long for my mug and my Demi-God status.

I'll have to buy über a mug, too. Then she'll be a Demi-Goddess.

andyduncan

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
I would walk 500... posts?

Wow. 500 posts before you get an avatar? Guess it'll be a while for me. Not that I deserve one. Lame posts should count negative though. Seems that someone who consistently replies to every 970 rumor with "Whooot Max rule! Suck it CISC weenies! Apple is 1337 and will buy Microsoft by Sept!" should be prevented from ever obtaining any title associated with appreciation. In the same vein, anyone who starts an article with "my friend who is a <Pick one: Receptionist, sales rep, marketing scum, Apple store employee, janitor at inf. loop etc.> told me..." should also have their status permanently set at "Unable To Identify BS" or maybe "Change Filter". On the other hand, what if someone posts something that makes it to the front page? That should be worth roughly the inverse of a "<your nationality> sucks" comment.

dethl

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2002
Austin, TX
Blah, I guess i will do my 500 posts....oh well..i'm not dying anytime soon

And i'm definately buying the mug (and the god(ok, so demi-god)-like status the donation brings) :)

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Arn,

I for one am fine with the 'God' names, but understand your thoughts for changing it.

Any ideas what you would change them too? Perhaps Star Wars Imperial rankings (Grand Moth, Darth... etc.... Darth Rumor...)

Hmm. Superheroes, mythical characters...

just a thought...

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
i nominate toiletries names. ranking from things you wouldn't want to be (T.P.) to prestigious items such as Cologne or Perfume.

is that objectionable? further, is objectionable a word in english?

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Originally posted by melchior
i nominate toiletries names. ranking from things you wouldn't want to be (T.P.) to prestigious items such as Cologne or Perfume.

is that objectionable? further, is objectionable a word in english?

Interesting thought - where would you start? Would a newbie be Supermarket Brut, slowly moving up to a designer after shave?

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
How many levels of members are there? We could do it by Macs...

Newbie) 128k
Regualr) SE30
Members) LCII
Next) Quadra
Next) Performa
Next) PowerMac
Ultimate) Cube

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by gotohamish
How many levels of members are there? We could do it by Macs...

Newbie) 128k
Regualr) SE30
Members) LCII
Next) Quadra
Next) Performa
Next) PowerMac
Ultimate) Cube

and only Arn gets to be a 970? or is it 980? :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.