Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 15, 2007, 07:28 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Patent: Wireless iPhone Charging Station?

Hrmph reports on the latest Apple patent application that was just published on February 15th, 2007.

The newest patent addresses the topic of allowing iPhone and similar devices (Tablet) to be charged in any orientation... landscape or portrait. Methods described include various physical connectors to handle both orientations.

A much more interesting method of transfering is proposed in the patent application -- the use of "induction" for both data transfer and charging that would not require physical contact between the dock and the iPhone.

Quote:
With regards to non-contact platforms, inductive coils can be placed in each device to transfer both power and data. The inductive coils are typically hidden from view behind the housings of each device and therefore they are more aesthetically pleasing than electrical contacts, which need to be exposed in order to operate effectively. Furthermore, inductively based systems are more robust than electrical contacts. For example, there are no contacts to wear out and/or oxidize.
In another implementation, power is transferred via an inductance-based system and data is transferred via a wireless system. The combination of inductance and wireless provides an efficient way to transfer both power and data while keeping both the docking station and portable electronic device fully enclosed.
[[ digg this]]

Last edited by arn; Feb 15, 2007 at 08:18 AM.
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 07:31 AM   #2
gers84
macrumors member

No more power cable
To many Ipods to list
gers84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 07:31 AM   #3
FF_productions
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to FF_productions Send a message via Skype™ to FF_productions
This iPhone just gets crazier everytime I hear about it.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 07:34 AM   #4
Isidore
macrumors member

Inductive charging

What are they getting a patent for? Inductive charging is definitely not new- I had it on a Braun electric toothbrush about ten years ago
Isidore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 07:39 AM   #5
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

the toothbrush is mentioned in the patent app
arn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 07:40 AM   #6
emotion
macrumors 68040

I've got a tothbrush that does this too.

Also check:

http://www.wildcharge.com/
emotion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 07:41 AM   #7
syklee26
macrumors 6502

hopefully we will see this on iPods too. I don't think I will be getting iphone anytime soon since it's cingular exclusive.....
syklee26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 07:43 AM   #8
Cepe Indicum
macrumors regular

When I saw this article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6129460.stm) in November, I wondered if it might be incorporated into the, then rumoured, iPhone... Interesting stuff.
Cepe Indicum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 07:47 AM   #9
xUKHCx
Administrator emeritus

There is also SplashPower.

I would love this idea as i hate having to charge things up and plug them in. *

Also would be amazing for car integration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)
seems like arn is teched up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonoche
Bad news is, you'll have to take the docking station along with you if you want to be able to reload the iPhone's battery anywhere…
Not if everyone buys an iPhone

*That is why i bought the new Nano gotta love the 24 hour battery life.
xUKHCx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 07:47 AM   #10
Nonoche
macrumors newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Nonoche Send a message via AIM to Nonoche
Bad news is, you'll have to take the docking station along with you if you want to be able to reload the iPhone's battery anywhere…
Old Feb 15, 2007, 07:52 AM   #11
Evangelion
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonoche View Post
Wanna bet that the iPod dock is not going anywhere? So you could still recharge the iPid, if you just have the cable.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 07:54 AM   #12
geerlingguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to geerlingguy
I personally like the smiley face on the front of the iPhone. Perhaps this is a hint at Leopard's new UI?

Old Feb 15, 2007, 07:57 AM   #13
Nonoche
macrumors newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Nonoche Send a message via AIM to Nonoche
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelion View Post
Wanna bet that the iPod dock is not going anywhere? So you could still recharge the iPid, if you just have the cable.
well the patent says that "Furthermore, inductively based systems are more robust than electrical contacts. For example, there are no contacts to wear out and/or oxidize." and "The combination of inductance and wireless provides an efficient way to transfer both power and data while keeping both the docking station and portable electronic device fully enclosed."

So if there's still a contact for an electrical outlet on the iPhone, then there's no point at all in the induction system, and we lose its benefits…
Old Feb 15, 2007, 08:06 AM   #14
ogee
macrumors 6502

I doubt its for the iPhone as it has a docking connector, and the phone is charged over that. I could imagine it for a future device ad with inductive data transfer a future iPod iPhone is not out of the question.

Maybe a new "iPod Pico" No connections at all. Inductive power and data transfer to BT earbuds. The complete iPod Pico is housed in 2 ear buds connected by a low power BT transceiver which keeps the buds in sync.
ogee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 08:12 AM   #15
geerlingguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to geerlingguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogee View Post
Maybe a new "iPod Pico" No connections at all. Inductive power and data transfer to BT earbuds. The complete iPod Pico is housed in 2 ear buds connected by a low power BT transceiver which keeps the buds in sync.
<drool>Ooh! Even closer to the 'iPod Invisi' mentioned on SNL!</drool>
Old Feb 15, 2007, 08:18 AM   #16
k2k koos
macrumors 6502a

Inductive charging

I didn't realise there are still patents to be obtained on this, it is old and proven technology, it's on toothbrushes yes, and I've been working with various brands of pagers that use the same technology for charging, including wireless transfer of data (the paging signal and also the programming of the pager).
Still, it would clean up the design even more, no damage or oxidising, or fluf from clothing to get to contacts etc. Now all they have to do is supply it with wireless stereo bluetooth head sets (that also charge inductive) and we have a very clean design, look mum, no wires :-)
Old Feb 15, 2007, 08:19 AM   #17
macridah
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_productions View Post
lol ... tell me about it.
macridah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 08:29 AM   #18
Bye Bye Baby
macrumors 65816

Perhaps andnot only

Everyone is making a big deal about its use for the iphone, which is still yet to be sold, but what about the millions of keyboards and mice that could also be charged in the same way. Guys don't forget your bread and butter computing to be caught up in the latest fad.
Bye Bye Baby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 08:34 AM   #19
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_productions View Post
yeah it does. this would be very nice. i just want the iphone to hurry up and get here
Old Feb 15, 2007, 08:34 AM   #20
milo2020
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bye Bye Baby View Post
Everyone is making a big deal about its use for the iphone, which is still yet to be sold, but what about the millions of keyboards and mice that could also be charged in the same way. Guys don't forget your bread and butter computing to be caught up in the latest fad.
mobile/cell phones are a fad?
milo2020 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 08:38 AM   #21
dernhelm
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gers84 View Post
No more power cable
Never mind that, no more iPod connector on your next iPod. USB2 the docking station to your computer, and sync using induction. Once this gets more ingrained, all Apple computers will ship with the inductive charger built in. Just drop your iPod on top of your mini and it syncs and charges automagically.

By 2008 - all Macs could have inductive sync and charge built in - how awesome would that be?
Old Feb 15, 2007, 08:40 AM   #22
buymeaniphone
macrumors 6502

I wonder what the maximum distance can be between the charger station and the device, the article mentioned above said that it could possibly be a few meters away and still charge the device. This would be cool for the iPhone, no open ports for dust to find its way inside the huge display.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 08:43 AM   #23
zombitronic
macrumors 65816

I would love to see this show up in the initial release of the iPhone. Knowing (or hoping) that this and other patents and upgrades could still be implemented would make this wait so much more bearable.
zombitronic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 09:02 AM   #24
gerwitz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geerlingguy View Post
I personally like the smiley face on the front of the iPhone. Perhaps this is a hint at Leopard's new UI?
That's the real scoop, here. Microsoft was ahead of their time with Bob, and Apple is resurrecting the creepy-avatar-centric UI and licensing Wal-Mart's mascot.
gerwitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 09:06 AM   #25
motulist
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by dernhelm View Post
Never mind that, no more iPod connector on your next iPod. USB2 the docking station to your computer, and sync using induction. Once this gets more ingrained, all Apple computers will ship with the inductive charger built in. Just drop your iPod on top of your mini and it syncs and charges automagically.

By 2008 - all Macs could have inductive sync and charge built in - how awesome would that be?
My gosh man! Are you guys from the future?! I can't imagine a more fantastically out of this world idea than the ideas you guys are comming up with. Imagine having everything that gets put on your desk automatically charged and synced wirelessly. No wires to the keyboard, no wires to the mouse, just chuck your ipod or iphone on the desk and it starts charging and pops up in your itunes library.

Ladies and gentlemen, the future is nigh.
motulist is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion