Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe announced that their spring release of Adobe Photoshop CS3 will bring a new "Extended" edition aimed at 3D and video professionals. Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended will include all the features of the standard version, but also incorporate several new features:

Render and incorporate 3D images into your 2D composites. Stop time with easy editing of motion graphics on video layers. And probe your images with measurement, analysis, and visualization tools.

Mac customers, in particular, have been waiting for Adobe Photoshop CS3 as it represents the first version of Photoshop that will run natively (at full speed) on Apple's Intel Macs. A beta version of CS3 has been available since December.

Adobe is offering a FAQ (pdf) about the new Extended edition. No pricing announcements have been made yet, but the release has been reported to be on March 27th at a special event in New York.

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
As discussed elsewhere in related ythreads, many pro users have been waiting for this -- and other pro software -- to run natively on the Intel based Mac's. It is great news that the wait is now over -- and I am hoping Apple comes out with new pro machines in the not too distant future.

I remember seeing stats somewhere from a survey of pro users as to when they would shift to the Intel based Mac Pro's. I can't remember the exact results (and can't find the survey anywhere) but a majority of users said they were waiting for Photoshop and other software to be native. But if there is no news of new Mac Pro's how long will people hold out even after the release of key pro software?

I know I am waiting for the next gen Intel Mac Pro's to replace my G5 tower -- but I am not a pro user -- I just want a new machine!

I hope Apple and Adobe have been working together around the release (and shipping) dates so that those of us waiting can have all new stuff to play with

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Pro Machines

As discussed elsewhere, many pro users have been waiting for this -- and other pro software. I am hoping Apple comes out with new pro machines in the not too distant future

All the pieces are beginning to come together.......;)

ericschmerick

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2004
I live in Shanghai.

"A Friend" bought CS2 several months ago for 30 RMB (abt $4). I have, er my friend has, trouble finding mac SW for much less than that, but maybe you have a "source"?

By the way, my "friend" also told me that the version of CS2 he got was about 2x slower than it should have been. When he checked the "version" number of the build, he found out it was some kind of debug build. So, he thinks what you get on the street for $3-4 isn't always so great! He's since gone back to using his properly purchased CS version, and is eagerly awaiting downloading a properly legal version of CS3.

On the other hand, my "friend" also has a copy of aperture which he got for free from an authorized apple dealer (tai ping yang shu ma guang chang ping guo dian nao shang dian - they were unwilling to sell it to him because it would take x weeks to arrive, and so would only give him a copy - it's the chinese model, pay for hardware - never EVER pay for media of any kind - legal versions of stuff aren't even AVAILABLE in most stores - hard to come by). If it was available for purchase online, he would have bought it, but it's not. Anyway, he's had no problems with that.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Edit: self-censorship. I don't want to be known as a pirate (which I'm not now I earn my own living, gone are the student years) on a forum I like so much.

;)

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Ok, video frame editing in Photoshop, while tedious, makes some amount of sense. What the heck is 3D modeling doing in there? Wouldn't it make more sense as a separate app, or maybe as a part of Illustrator?

As if the PS interface wasn't confusing enough as it is, now they're adding the capability to model my house? Weird.

Do we know what the components of CS3 are going to be yet?

ftrtrk

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2006
I don't understand this,

is the new feature supposed to be video editing software like FC???

Apple and Adobe wouldn't want to be competitors in this area, right? Shouldn't the new FCP and FCP:Extreme be able to do whatever the new CS3 add-on is?

:confused:

macjackpro

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
Science

I would think this would be for scientific applications.

Also, CS3 "introduced" March 27, released Spring 2007.

Ok, video frame editing in Photoshop, while tedious, makes some amount of sense. What the heck is 3D modeling doing in there? Wouldn't it make more sense as a separate app, or maybe as a part of Illustrator?

As if the PS interface wasn't confusing enough as it is, now they're adding the capability to model my house? Weird.

Do we know what the components of CS3 are going to be yet?

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I don't understand this,

is the new feature supposed to be video editing software like FC???

Apple and Adobe wouldn't want to be competitors in this area, right? Shouldn't the new FCP and FCP:Extreme be able to do whatever the new CS3 add-on is?

:confused:
Adobe Premier is their video editing app, and Adobe dropped support for Mac around the time FC came to be. They're now bringing it back to the Mac platform, and yes, they're competing. I'm guessing Adobe thought their customers would switch to Windows and stick with Premier, but it probably didn't work out that way.

This is another one of those dicey situations where Apple is competing aggressively against one of their major 3rd party developers. So far it all seems good though...

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
In addition,
both versions of Photoshop run on ... all editions of the new Windows VistaTM
operating system, except the Starter and Home Basic editions. Detailed system requirements will be available in Spring 2007.

Sounds like many vista users are gonna get short changed - it won't run on Vista Home Basic or Starter, they will be forced to upgrade if they want Photoshop!

Why are Adobe doing this? What is missing from these products that make it unable to run on them? So glad there will only ever be 1 version of Mac OS X

ATG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2005
Sounds like a mini after effects to me.

Why not just improve on PS integration with AE? Less work and more valuable because AE will always have more features than this PS "Extended".

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Sounds like many vista users are gonna get short changed - it won't run on Vista Home Basic or Starter, they will be forced to upgrade if they want Photoshop!

Why are Adobe doing this? What is missing from these products that make it unable to run on them? So glad there will only ever be 1 version of Mac OS X

The real question is why does Microsoft rip off their customers by severely crippling the versions that most people buy?

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
The real question is why does Microsoft rip off their customers by severely crippling the versions that most people buy?

Because they don't really want you to buy those versions, but the more expensive versions instead. They have just run out of new and interesting things to do, so they have moved onto the squeezing as much money out of people stage.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Because they don't really want you to buy those versions, but the more expensive versions instead. They have just run out of new and interesting things to do, so they have moved onto the squeezing as much money out of people stage.

How is this different from the way that Apple cripples the systems that most people buy?

(No ExpressCard or lighted keyboard on MacBook, few options (e.g. good graphics) for iMac, ...)

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Ok, 3D effects...my take.

I think it will be some sort of Flash 3D thing.

Where, lets say you have some text, and you want a 3D object behind the text, lit properly to go with the drop shadow or gradient on the text.

you could render this innumerable ways in a 3D app.

or

you could possibly use something like Swift3D and create this object on a Photoshop layer, and be able to rotate/manipulate the object to get it to match the rest of the scene.

sounds neat, but without more details, one can only speculate.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
How is this different from the way that Apple cripples the systems that most people buy?

(No ExpressCard or lighted keyboard on MacBook, few options (e.g. good graphics) for iMac, ...)

Has it really gotten to the point where we have to explain the difference between hardware and software?

PLEASE tell me that's not what you're really asking us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.