Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
I go visit and log into spymac after a 6 month hiatus and I find the site completely changed, for the worse it seems. Where's the mac community?

It looks like someone vomited all over my screen. It's like a bad mix of YouTube, MySpace and LiveJournal rolled into one abomination of cyberspace! They also do payouts to members who "contribute" which means the community aspect is all but dead.

Spymac also managed to crash Safari. I'm deleting their bookmark permanently!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
It looks like the domain has been parked. Spymac has apparently gone out of business -- under pressure from Apple, presumably. Last I heard, "Nick dePlume" had won all of his legal battles with Apple, but perhaps the site owner agreed to close it down rather than continue the fight.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
There's still Mac stuff, but they've tried to go all Web 2.0 and appeal to a broader audience.

It's terrible.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006

Attachments

• spymac.jpg
    spymac.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,159

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

It looks like someone vomited all over my screen. It's like a bad mix of YouTube, MySpace and LiveJournal rolled into one abomination of cyberspace! They also do payouts to members who "contribute" which means the community aspect is all but dead.

The old SpyMac.com is still alive, in a fashion. If you click the Community link in the bottom righthand corner, then it will take you the Classic SpyMac website.

Biagio

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2004
One correction above thinksecret is Nick dePlume's site. They are not closing down thinksecret. Spymac is an entirely different entity.

FrankBlack

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
Looking for Lucy Butler
It's funny, what happens to some websites. I used to visit "As the Apple Turns" pretty regularly. Alas, it's creator and owner, Jack Miller, became a family man, and no longer had time for it. ATAT has not been updated since October of '95, as near as I can tell. I'm a little surprised that the domain name has not been put up for sale.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
It's funny, what happens to some websites. I used to visit "As the Apple Turns" pretty regularly. Alas, it's creator and owner, Jack Miller, became a family man, and no longer had time for it. ATAT has not been updated since October of '95, as near as I can tell. I'm a little surprised that the domain name has not been put up for sale.

I miss Apple Turns.

It was one of the best written Mac websites outside of Crazy Apple Rumors.

Did Jack really just start a family? I browsed the ATAT boards and it seems even the mods don't even know where he went.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.