Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
970! :D

Sorry... :)

I've been thinking that maybe once the 970s come out, there might still be a G4 at the low end. But if they're running out of G4s, maybe they'll all go 970.

synthetickittie

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2002
Boston
ah dam Im not gonna have the "top of the line" for much longer. I got a 1.42 when they were first annouced but even if I new this was gonna happen I wouldnt of changed my mind because nothing can make up for all the work Ive done in the past few months and I NEEDED a new computer and deffinitly couldnt wait and any longer.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by joelc
Let's just hope they aren't replaced with another G4
I would cry and roll around on the ground in agony if this was the case. Apple is too smart to do this though..... right?...... right?!?!?!

- scem0

joelc

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2003
CA
Originally posted by scem0
I would cry and roll around on the ground in agony if this was the case. Apple is too smart to do this though..... right?...... right?!?!?!

- scem0

We hope...

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA

- scem0

I wouldn't mind another G4 as long as it is as fast as the PPC 970 is supposed to be...

Who cares what it's called, just as long as it's fast!

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Originally posted by ibookin'
I wouldn't mind another G4 as long as it is as fast as the PPC 970 is supposed to be...

Amen.

That's one of the most sensible posts EVER!! ;)

NicoMan

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by ibookin'

I don't see this happening, but what if Apple release a 970 and still call it a G4? Steve announces a new "G4" at the keynote and we all fly into a rage before he can mention that it's a 970 :p

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by Nermal
I don't see this happening, but what if Apple release a 970 and still call it a G4? Steve announces a new "G4" at the keynote and we all fly into a rage before he can mention that it's a 970 :p

LoL, that would be so stupid if they did... the whole point of a new name is to make the product stand out as being new and innovative... besides, it has a whole new architecture anways... but I know you were joking :)

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
his "and one more thing" could be just that. Spend a lot of time showing off the new case, connectivity etc. then say and one more thing, they have IBM 970 PowerPC processors in them. That would probably cause a riot!

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
New G4 Cubes?

I hope new G4s will be offered in Cube-like enclosures. The 970 belongs in PowerMacs and XServes but until the operating system and the applications are optimized for it a low-price G4 computer (with no fan) would be the better deal.

fukuhela

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2001
Scandinavia
MWSF '02 - anyone

- scem0

All we've Know/ "heard" about the 970 so far is rumors. It reminds me alot of MWSF 02 where everybody was convinced that we would see the new G5 from Motorola.

Even Apple people in my small country (Denmark) talked (off the record) about how fats they would be. Some reports/rumors even said that the OS crashed because of how fast they were.....

All I'm trying to say is: Maybe the 970's aren't ready yet. According to IBM's own schedule it's supposed to be ready late '03 or beginning '04. And if the 970 isn't ready then Apple really don't have a choice...

silvergunuk

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2003
England
still no stock?

I think Apple should just come out and admit that the 970s are coming..no stock of g4s and so many rumors of the 970s..just save us the misery steve and tell us if were getting the ibm chips or not

will

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2002
Re: Low PowerMac 1.42 Stock

Originally posted by Macrumors
Distributers have very low to no stock of PowerMac 1.42GHz machines. Restock dates rate from late June to early July.

Apple's UK Store has them shipping same day, they must still have some stock. I hope that we get same day shipping when the new machine arrives. ;)

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I dont see apple keeping a g4 powermac at the lower level when they come out with the 970. If they did this the g4 would look lame next to the 970's. also i dont see them making a motherboard to fit the new computer only to hold a stagnating g4 in it. Hate to say this but they should have had a 1.4 single g4 powermac allready but couldnt do to the fact the best they could do is dual 1.42. No when the new machines roll out the current style powermac will be gone. I dont expect a $599 cube either. My Crystal Ball says new powermacs 970's and powerbooks 970. I saw rumored pictures of this machine and if true think of xserve looking powermac. Darn i wish someone could post those pictures and i never realized at the time that what i was seeing was the real thing. It didnt show a side view. Anyways low stock of the 1.42 can only mean 1 thing!

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Rumour sites are evil!

:->

Seriously, remember that poll "do rumour sites damage apple" from this week.

We've (most of us) have been hoping, hyping ourselves up for 970 processor at the developers conference on the 23rd June....

If Apple come up with another G4 line of processors, we are going to be *so* disappointed.

Everyone on these forums 'hyping' each other up - "970 coming, I can feel it", "It must be coming, I've got my credit cards ready". etc.

God, are we going to be gutted.... if its a no show!

A few weeks ago, there was an article about Apple are going to have a minor upgrades to PowerMacs? I can't find the link... if this was correct, then there will be no PowerMacs for a couple of months. 6 months for PowerBooks if they remain G4 after the refresh.

Personally, on balance, I don't see 970 happening this month... :-(

I *really* hope I'm wrong..

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Stella you are simply wrong, that was a minor update for the powermacs to keep em in line with all the stuff 10.3 can and will do. the truth of the matter is another round of g4 bumps would kill powermac sales. another truth is the channels are drying up of powermacs, 970's are being produced, the 970 does have altivec( who uses that other then Apple?) the g4 has stagnated(motorola) etc etc. How you going to run a 64 bit panther on a 32 bit computer? only in 32 bit mode. No when panther comes out they will have to have a machine that can use it. Repeat after me---- their will be 970's----------there will be new powermacs----------and there will be increased sales for Apple. Now dont you feel better!

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
Stella you are simply wrong
We shall see :). I hope I am wrong. I don't think 970 processors will come around in June.

However, Microsoft have ported XP to 64 bit. Where are all the amd/intel 64 bit processors? They aren't here yet available to consumers, so the existence of a 64 bit OS doesn't mean availability of 64 bit processors.

I totally agree, G4 processors in new PowerMacs will kill sales, but I wouldn't put it past apple to do something like this!

Indeed the 970's do have Altivect. But read my original post again - i said i don't think 970 processors will be here this month. They *will* arrive at some point.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I saw the post and got a little off, but i really think the 970 will show at WWDC with the new models coming at the end of this month or july. Production on the 970 has gone very well from what i have heard,read,saw. I will be very disappointed if steve does not show off a new O.S. with new Hardware and so will a lot of stockholders.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Lack of 1.42 does not mean much. They could be on the chopping block just because they are such a waste of time...

*sigh*

970 is but a dream so far....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.